September 2016 Vertebrate Find Of The Month

JohnJ

September 2016 Vertebrate Find Of The Month  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Cast a vote for your favorite find this month!

• 1. Allodesmus sp. pinniped canine tooth - late Miocene Santa Margarita Formation - California, USA
    • 2. Bird feather - Eocene Green River Formation - Wyoming, USA
    • 3. Ptychodus sp. shark tooth - Upper Cretaceous Eagle Ford or Austin Group - Texas, USA
    • 4. Scapherpeton tectum salamander vertebra - Upper Cretaceous (Maastrichtian) Lower Hell Creek Formation - Montana, USA

This poll is closed to new votes

...Yeah, these vertebrates would make anyone's trip worth it.  :D  Let's show our appreciation.  :)

The poll ends October 6th. Be sure to vote in our other FOTM poll HERE

1.  Allodesmus sp. pinniped canine tooth - late Miocene Santa Margarita Formation - California, USA

caldigger 1.JPGcaldigger 2.JPG

2.  Bird feather - Eocene Green River Formation - Wyoming, USA

FossilDudeCO.jpg

3.  Ptychodus sp. shark tooth - Upper Cretaceous Eagle Ford or Austin Group - Texas, USA

John S. 1.jpegJohn S. 5.jpeg

John S. 2.jpegJohn S. 3.jpegJohn S. 4.jpeg

4.  Scapherpeton tectum salamander vertebra - Upper Cretaceous (Maastrichtian) Lower Hell Creek Formation - Montana, USA

Troodon 1.jpgTroodon 2.jpgTroodon 3.jpg

Troodon 5.jpgTroodon 4.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Wow! Four really great finds--you guys ain't making this easy. I would have loved to have found any of these.

Cheers.

-Ken

32 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

How on earth can it be hard with 4 entries and yet it is!

It's easy...just pick the first one. lol

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

It's easy...just pick the first one. lol

1 is the loneliest number....

Pick number 2!!!!

"1 is the loneliest number...."    Just trying to get my share of pity votes Blake.  Sob, sob, I feel so alone!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

My hand is extended :dinothumb:lets shake on it.  What happens if there is a tie?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I was looking through winners galleries recently and do not recall seeing a tie.

I assume the admits would then vote?

I believe we've had some close races before and (if I'm not imagining it) one month the contest ran just a bit over (like an overtime period in sports) till one winner prevailed by a small margin. I'm not dreaming this am I? I do distinctly recall the other monthly race MOTM has finished in a dead-heat tie before with both worthy candidates being awarded for that month. I seem to recall Charlie (fossilized6s) being one of the deserving winners that month.

There are some months when I wish I could personally award FOTM to multiple worthy candidates. So hard to choose just one but it is always interesting to see if the forum shares my personal bias of "best" fossil. My method of choosing who gets my vote is to consider which fossil I would most want to have discovered for myself--what would I be most proud to have in my personal collection. Sometimes this is so difficult because I'd love to have all the worthy candidates. 

Cheers.

-Ken

I think we have had a couple of FOTM contests push into "overtime"; but, this contest is far from over....  :D  

Good luck, to all.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Yes, that Salamander is sneaking up on us Doren!

Can't we just call this month a draw on all 4 counts?

I don't think I have ever seen voting this close before for ALL the entries!!

This may be one of the toughest months ever!

• JohnJ locked this topic