Found at Saltburn/Bridlington - ID please.

hpcc1234

These would be my guesses :
1 - ?
2 - mineral veins (maybe quartz)
3 - ammonites fragment
4,5,6,9,10 - ammonites fragments in pebbles
7-8 - coral

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree with abyssunder regarding the finds

Number 1 red ironstone nodule

Number 5 should 'pop' if you give it a sharp tap with a hammer

Thanks for the replies so far.

StormDancer: Does it matter where I tap number 5?  Will a normal household claw hammer do the trick?

I have zero experience of opening stone with fossils in them.

I had read online the other day - when thinking of there possibly being a whole ammonite inside #5 - about freezing and thawing the stone, before hitting it.  Would that help?

Number 6 - ammonite?  It is a big lump of rock - much bigger than the others - about 5 inches long.

A brick hammer would be better...

Hold the rock with the ammonite  showing at the top, aim for the line that runs around the rock from the ammonite, tap on that line if possible.

good luck!

number 6 looks like a suggestive shaped rock rather than an actual fossil, quite a few of these on the coast.

Number 6 has three repetedly patterns, suggesting cephalopod camerae, to me. I don't think that is just one of the confusing tricks made by Mother Nature.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

11 hours ago, StormDancer said:

A brick hammer would be better...

Hold the rock with the ammonite  showing at the top, aim for the line that runs around the rock from the ammonite, tap on that line if possible.

good luck!

number 6 looks like a suggestive shaped rock rather than an actual fossil, quite a few of these on the coast.

I've given the stone a good couple of wallops with the hammer and this is what has appeared.  To say I am very pleased is an understatement.  :D

I am leaving it like that - I've no proper tools to take any more stone off, and I don't want to damage it further.  Am I alright discarding all those fragments?  Those are just rock with the "shadow" of an ammonite in them? Should I keep them? 

Thanks for your help.  :D:D

P1550077.jpg

8 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Number 6 has three repetedly patterns, suggesting cephalopod camerae, to me. I don't think that is just one of the confusing tricks made by Mother Nature.

OK, thanks.  All new to me - I just though it might be too big, but then there are massive ammonites aren't there.  I suppose I was hoping someone would say dinosaur bones......:blink:

Is what can be seen in number 9 only a "shadow" of an ammonite?  Has it already gone?

Is it worth hitting that one to see if there is anything else inside?

Thanks.

Hehe! You have a nice ammonites now! Good work ! :D
What you call "shadow" is an imprint of the ammonites. Just keep it. Looks nice.
About the other one, you're right. It looks partially eroded. I would say, leave it as is.

Thomas Mann

My Library

Excellent... Doesn't it give you a buzz when they pop?

Yes just discard the fragments or before long you will have a house, shed, garage, and garden full of bits.

I still remember tapping my first Dac ammonite and it popping.

Good luck with your new found fossil collecting hobby... Beware its very addictive! 

Thank you both for your help.  :D

Was very pleased to see what was inside. 

I'll certainly be looking for more.......

9 hours ago, hpcc1234 said:

I've given the stone a good couple of wallops with the hammer and this is what has appeared.  To say I am very pleased is an understatement.  :D

I am leaving it like that - I've no proper tools to take any more stone off, and I don't want to damage it further.  Am I alright discarding all those fragments?  Those are just rock with the "shadow" of an ammonite in them? Should I keep them? 

Thanks for your help.  :D:D

P1550077.jpg

Nice!

Archived