Hike 'up' to KT Dinosaur extinction boundary. Alberta.

Ridgehiker

37 minutes ago, Troodon said:

What part of the Red Deer River did you collect? I've collected from Drumheller to up and around the Tolman Bridge.  Nice country.  That tyrannosaur tooth is pretty nice , size?

This area is further up river from Tolman.  

Found about a half dozen Tyrannosaur teeth. I didnt measure them but

I guess they were between  3cm to 10cm.  Usually dont find that many but they tend to lodge in the vertical rills I was climbing up.  

Here's a photo of my favourite tooth of the day. Less spectacular than the others but I like the ones that had wear and breakage in the Tyrannosaur's lifetime before being swallowed or shed.  They participated in a lot of meals.

image.jpeg

I love these trip reports. Wish I could go collecting in the Scollard, but I'd have to move to Alberta permanently.

2 hours ago, Canadawest said:

This area is further up river from Tolman.  

Found about a half dozen Tyrannosaur teeth. I didnt measure them but

I guess they were between  3cm to 10cm.  Usually dont find that many but they tend to lodge in the vertical rills I was climbing up.  

Here's a photo of my favourite tooth of the day. Less spectacular than the others but I like the ones that had wear and breakage in the Tyrannosaur's lifetime before being swallowed or shed.  They participated in a lot of meals.

image.jpeg

These type of teeth are also my favorite.  They really show a slice of life.

Great images.  Thanks for a closer look at this area. 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Is this area off limits to collecting then?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

4 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Is this area off limits to collecting then?

No. Vertebrate fossils can be surface collected on public land if not within a park. The export of fossils requires a special permit (various criteria).  

I dont add to my collection because at my age trying to get stuff out of the door rather than bringing more in. 

43 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Terrific report,kudo's for the photography

Thanks.

I just use my old Iphone 4 until the battery runs down to 10% ( then I shut it off for emergency use only).  At home later a lot of delete, delete...another photo of my boot...delete.

I've been thinking about these pictures ever since you Posted them! Would love to have the opportunity to hike up there and see what I could find. I may have to plan a trip!

Wow, those are some great fossils and scenery! congrats on the finds! 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

On 10/1/2016 at 3:12 PM, Canadawest said:

Gets a bit precarious but 'nothing ventured, no...'

image.jpeg

Is this a T-rex tooth? That looks to be a really nice and large one!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

On 10/2/2016 at 0:39 AM, Canadawest said:

I dont add to my collection because at my age trying to get stuff out of the door rather than bringing more in. 

Maybe you could put a bag full of these TRex teeth up for auction to benefit the forum!! :popcorn:

1 hour ago, HamptonsDoc said:

Maybe you could put a bag full of these TRex teeth up for auction to benefit the forum!! :popcorn:

Alberta fossils cant be sold without a special permit or certificate of ownership. 

Archived