Hadrosaur Egg

Vertigo One

Hi everyone.  I've come across this hadrosaur egg on a well known fossil/gem dealer's site.  It's described as from the "Xixia Basin, in the Henan province of China", which research tells me has an embargo on hadrosaur eggs.  It's a very well known gem/fossil site selling it, and states "This fossil specimen will come with a certificate of authenticity." (Authenticated by who exactly? Sure...)

Naturally these pictures are as good as the resolution gets, and the price point (over $1k USD) seems pretty high risk for a possible fake. 

I've stayed away from eggs in the past since they're so rampantly faked, but eventually want one (from any dino, really) for my collection.  Thoughts?

Thanks!

hadroegg3.JPG

hadroegg1.JPG

hadroegg2.JPG

I'm no expert by any means on eggs except scrambled, hard boiled and poached. This looks wrong from what I've seen posted here on the forum. I would stay away from it. However, I could be wrong, but the shell appears to be completely absent and a mold is all that is left. But like I said, not an expert.

• I found this Informative 1

...I'm back.

2 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

I'm no expert by any means on eggs except scrambled, hard boiled and poached. This looks wrong from what I've seen posted here on the forum. I would stay away from it. However, I could be wrong, but the shell appears to be completely absent and a mold is all that is left. But like I said, not an expert.

Yup -- could be a ball of concrete with some random shell scraps glued on and sanded, which I've read is a common fake.  It's from a big-name gem/fossil store, so it surprised me to see this on there.  I would think they wouldn't want to risk dealing with embargoed fossils but they also have a keichousaurus for sale...

I'm on the fence with this one... the egg has a lot of calcite on it covering most of the shell (this is normal in the fossilization process and very common with these eggs in particular).  Is it possible to get higher resolution images from the seller?  The shape looks like the "foot ball" hadrosaur eggs.  At least anecdotally, the ones I have in my collection and have seen in other's tend to be heavier than other hadrosaur eggs.  Any idea on weight?  I wouldn't jump on it just yet....

• I found this Informative 2

6 minutes ago, HamptonsDoc said:

I'm on the fence with this one... the egg has a lot of calcite on it covering most of the shell (this is normal in the fossilization process and very common with these eggs in particular).  Is it possible to get higher resolution images from the seller?  The shape looks like the "foot ball" hadrosaur eggs.  At least anecdotally, the ones I have in my collection and have seen in other's tend to be heavier than other hadrosaur eggs.  Any idea on weight?  I wouldn't jump on it just yet....

No weight information, or higher resolution images, unfortunately.  It's a bigger online storefront rather than a smaller dealer/seller. Only further description is "7" high by 6" wide".  They are selling another hadrosaur egg on a stand in the pictures attached here, for roughly 2x the price of the first one I posted.  Still no weight information on this one either.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture.JPG

So I found these eggs on the dealer's site and can see that first one under a little higher resolution and I think it does appear to be authentic, but its hard to say without looking at it in person.  The asking price is steep, but they are becoming more and more difficult to find.  It looks like a nice egg, and if you love it go for it.  

I personally don't like the second one you posted, I think the first is much nicer!

If you want to buy I'd wait a little longer and see what some other members who are egg collectors think.  Also give them a call and see if you can negotiate the price!

First "certificate of authenticity" are meaningless documents   

Second the egg has the features of one, with poor eggshell preservation and I'm leaning a bit toward it being real but would not get near it.  Why? because there are to many questions and the preservation is poor even if it real.  The only eggs that one should purchase are those that are slam dunk ones and this one or the other egg you posted does not fit that bill.   I'll PM you a dealer that has comparable eggs that are definitely real..

I'm glad other members chimed in and offered their personal insight and experience concerning fossil eggs. Troodon is someone I trust completely when it comes to these types of fossils. He has post numerous help threads detailing the in's and out's of the counterfeit world and what to look for when one is in the market for a new addition for their collection.Troodons advice and knowledge is highly regarded as invaluable by members of TFF. He is after all, the most informative member of TFF

Best regards,

Paul

P.S. No @Troodon this is not a plug to join you on your hunts:fistbump:. I'm just calling it as I see it. :P Thank you for everything you do for us.

• I found this Informative 3

...I'm back.

3 hours ago, Vertigo One said:

Naturally these pictures are as good as the resolution gets, and the price point (over $1k USD) seems pretty high risk for a possible fake.

Unless it came with an autographed photograph of Momma Hadrosaur laying it; I would not pay the stated price. Of course all my purchases were pre-ban, it's a different market now. That just seems excessive to me, even if authentic.

• I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

1 hour ago, Raggedy Man said:

P.S. No @Troodon this is not a plug to join you on your hunts:fistbump:. I'm just calling it as I see it. :P Thank you for everything you do for us.

Ha ha, Thanks