ID help please. Galway, Ireland

Hibernia

Hi Guys, 

Found this chunk of limestone containing some interesting features (pics 1-7 of 8)while walking a beach today in the west of Ireland, there seemed to be a few more rocks similar to it scattered around the area. I have very little knowledge of fossils and would really appreciate if someone could help me identify the fossils present. The image 8 is a separate fossil picked up in a drumlin, I was thinking that it looks a bit like some sort of shell, but again would appreciate an id if possible.

Thanks,

H

Fossils 1.jpg

Fossils 2.jpg

Fossils 3.jpg

Fossils 4.jpg

Fossils 5.jpg

Fossils 6.jpg

Fossils 7.jpg

Fossils 8.jpg

Thank you Ludwigia and Raggedy Man for your promt and helpful replies, fascinated to learn more about these interesting organisms.

7 minutes ago, Hibernia said:

Thank you Ludwigia and Raggedy Man for your promt and helpful replies, fascinated to learn more about these interesting organisms.

Hash plates like this one offer much more than people realize. You really do get more"bang for your buck" when collecting them. However in most cases, the specimens are fragmented and piled on top one another. Which is why some collectors pass them by.

• I found this Informative 3

...I'm back.

I agree with the others. A bit eroded, but nice crinoid columns and columnals, plus a pretty horn coral in matrix capturing our attention with the nice details of the calyx. The fossula and the septa is beautifully preserved. Nice finds ! :)

coralmorph.GIF2.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The pieces are from the Carboniferous and the coral appears to be Palaeosmilia murchisoni with characteristic large numbers of narrow septa that reach nearly to the centre. (And a beautifully clear fossula as Abyssunder says!)

It has lost much of its fragile dissepimentarium (outer layers) which is also typical of this species in many beds.

• I found this Informative 3

Tarquin

Nice finds.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg