Green River Botanicals?

mdpaulhus

I have a couple of interesting fossils collected in green river formation.  The first is from just below 18" layer and I have been thinking it was a leave,  but the form is odd with large dark center section and now I am wondering if it some type of seed or fruit? It is about 3/4" long.   Any thoughts?

The third photo is of a fossil collected from split fish quarry and it looks like a seed or nut to me (almost similar to a pistachio nut), but perhaps just my imagination and it is some collection of fish parts or other.  It does like there is the start of another similar shape just to the right of this.  It is about 3/8" long.

Thought I would also add photo of an insect collected with the first fossil .  It is a Plecia Pealei and just looks nice with the wing structure visible.

DSC_0933a.JPG

DSC_0938a.JPG

DSC_0945a.JPG

Not sure about the third item, but the 1st looks similar to an image in Lance Grande's book "The Lost World of Fossil Lake" 

Figure 199 on page 337, bottom center, ... listed as a "winged fruit of Dipteronia sp"

Excellent fossils.

Thanks for posting them. 

Regards,

EDIT:

Here is a paper about Dipteronia brownii. LINK

And ANOTHER.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Tim.  This looks like a good match to what I have.  You can't see it very well in my photo, but there is faint radial pattern from the center of the specimen which does look a lot like Dipteronia.  The attached image here is from the American Journal of Botany "Dipteronia (Sapindaceae) from the Tertiary of North America".  I'll have to buy that book.

F2.medium.gif

Archived