Etobicoke creek, Toronto find please help ID

Milest

Found in dry river bed of Etobicoke creek, Toronto, Ontario, Canada (upper ordivican) 2 pics here are both sides of the rock the size is roughly 4cm by 5cm.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Looks like a section of orthocone cephalopod.

You can clearly see the siphuncle  in the first photo.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi Milest!

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Etobicoke Creek fossil hunter!!!

I agree with Tim - what you have is an orthocone nautiloid.  I also think you have some tiny bryozoans in the matrix still attached to the cephalopod - I've circled it below:

image.thumb.jpeg.9dc995ee0eba3f83b1df50ab48daaaf2.jpeg

(Can you see tiny holes in the items I've circled?  If so, then you definitely have some bryozoans - the tiny holes are where the colony members (zooids) once lived.)

Monica

• I found this Informative 2

45 minutes ago, Monica said:

...  I also think you have some tiny bryozoans in the matrix still attached to the cephalopod - I've circled it below:

(Can you see tiny holes in the items I've circled?  If so, then you definitely have some bryozoans - the tiny holes are where the colony members (zooids) once lived.)

Monica

Monica,

I cropped and enlarged the original image - There are bryozoans there, but they appear to be in adhereing matrix, and not an epibiont, or encrusting bryozoan. 

image.jpeg.bab3c975cb5cfc0f03e17654366a218c.jpeg

To the lower left side, there appears to be a cross sectioned stalked or branched bryozoan. 

I can also see other bits and pieces in there, leading me to believe it is matrix. :)

Regards, 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Thank you both for the bunch big words that will get me busy googling today :)

I took a close up pic below of the highlighted part (1st below) I don't see much to be honest....

As you can see I am new here and hope to learn a lot from you guys.

Monica, glad to see there is a hunter close by too, I read some of your posts, my daughter was also the start of my interest in this when she found this 2nd pic below on our walk a couple of weeks ago....I believe this is of the same kind from what u guys are saying, this was also in Etobicoke creek.

IMG_2394.PNG

IMG_2254.JPG

Here is a picture of orthocone cephalopod anatomy

post-2806-0-96430500-1375996410.jpg

and the cross section of your item with siphuncle  noted:

image.jpeg.adec8d6d1cf652f92570bfc56f7a86e4.jpeg

Here is an interpretation of what is in the matrix on the side of your first find.

image.jpeg.bab3c975cb5cfc0f03e17654366a218c.jpeg.2a25ff98643705012819e26942e38459.jpeg

Your last picture looks like a pair of orthocone cephalopods, as well.

Regards, 

7 hours ago, Milest said:

Thank you both for the bunch big words that will get me busy googling today :)

I took a close up pic below of the highlighted part (1st below) I don't see much to be honest....

As you can see I am new here and hope to learn a lot from you guys.

Monica, glad to see there is a hunter close by too, I read some of your posts, my daughter was also the start of my interest in this when she found this 2nd pic below on our walk a couple of weeks ago....I believe this is of the same kind from what u guys are saying, this was also in Etobicoke creek.

IMG_2394.PNG

IMG_2254.JPG

Hi again, Milest!

Those are most definitely orthocone nautiloids - I've found quite a few along Etobicoke Creek and I can't help but keep most of what I find, even if they're just bits and pieces of specimens because they all look so cool!

How old is your daughter?  Was she impressed with what you guys found?  I just went out with Viola again this past weekend and she found a really nice orthocone nautiloid (probably nicer than the ones I've found) as well as a fairly small piece of rock with four separate shell impressions on it, showing at least 2, and perhaps 3, different species (definitely nicer than the ones I've found!).  I've been trying to find something to trade her for her fossils but no luck yet. Just yesterday I offered her a cookie in exchange for her shell-impression fossil and she declined saying that a cookie only lasts for an instant while her fossil will last forever.  Unfortunately I can't argue with that logic because she's right - I guess I'll have to find something better to trade... :P

Monica

10 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Monica,

I cropped and enlarged the original image - There are bryozoans there, but they appear to be in adhereing matrix, and not an epibiont, or encrusting bryozoan. 

image.jpeg.bab3c975cb5cfc0f03e17654366a218c.jpeg

To the lower left side, there appears to be a cross sectioned stalked or branched bryozoan. 

I can also see other bits and pieces in there, leading me to believe it is matrix. :)

Regards, 

Hi Tim!

I think the wording in my previous post was a bit confusing.  I didn't intend to say that the bryozoan was attached to the cephalopod (which would make it an encrusting bryozoan) - I meant to say that I saw bryozoans within the matrix that is still attached to the cephalopod.  Oops on my part - I will try to do a better job of double-checking my writing for improved clarity next time :).

Thanks for responding with all of that information - it's very helpful!

Monica

On October 4, 2016 at 5:09 PM, Monica said:

Hi again, Milest!

Those are most definitely orthocone nautiloids - I've found quite a few along Etobicoke Creek and I can't help but keep most of what I find, even if they're just bits and pieces of specimens because they all look so cool!

How old is your daughter?  Was she impressed with what you guys found?  I just went out with Viola again this past weekend and she found a really nice orthocone nautiloid (probably nicer than the ones I've found) as well as a fairly small piece of rock with four separate shell impressions on it, showing at least 2, and perhaps 3, different species (definitely nicer than the ones I've found!).  I've been trying to find something to trade her for her fossils but no luck yet. Just yesterday I offered her a cookie in exchange for her shell-impression fossil and she declined saying that a cookie only lasts for an instant while her fossil will last forever.  Unfortunately I can't argue with that logic because she's right - I guess I'll have to find something better to trade... :P

Monica

Hi Monica, I have twin girls 5.5 yrs old.  I don't think they stand a chance in front of cookies, unfortunately. But when we did our summer road trip in Nova Scotia they found a bunch of fossilized shark teeth on a rocky beach one of them pretty big,the older one has been guarding it with her life since, sleeping with it under the pillow too together with her other treasures. :) 

i will go out with them some more and post our finds

On October 4, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Monica said:

Hi Tim!

I think the wording in my previous post was a bit confusing.  I didn't intend to say that the bryozoan was attached to the cephalopod (which would make it an encrusting bryozoan) - I meant to say that I saw bryozoans within the matrix that is still attached to the cephalopod.  Oops on my part - I will try to do a better job of double-checking my writing for improved clarity next time :).

Thanks for responding with all of that information - it's very helpful!

Monica

Thank u both this is extremely informative 

On 10/6/2016 at 9:50 PM, Milest said:

Hi Monica, I have twin girls 5.5 yrs old.  I don't think they stand a chance in front of cookies, unfortunately. But when we did our summer road trip in Nova Scotia they found a bunch of fossilized shark teeth on a rocky beach one of them pretty big,the older one has been guarding it with her life since, sleeping with it under the pillow too together with her other treasures. :) 

i will go out with them some more and post our finds

Hi Milest!

I read the little anecdote about your older daughter hiding her fossil under her pillow to my husband - we both had a good chuckle since our daughter has special places for her special things, too - very cute :)

I also wanted to suggest that you post the pictures of your Nova Scotian shark teeth on the forum, as well, since there are MANY people here who would probably be able to help you identify them if you're interested in finding out who they once belonged to.

Happy hunting!

Monica