Tucson Fossil Show 2017

Troodon

Early news for the 2017 show.

All those attending the show, at the Tuscon Inns Suite City Center, will face a nightmare parking close to the Hotel. 

The large parking area that everyone uses at this venue has been sold and construction is scheduled to start early February.   Marty Zinn the promoter is telling dealers that he is setting up a remote parking area and will bus visitors to Hotel.    I also hear that he is trying to delay construction until after the show but cannot substantiate that piece of information.   

The immediate impact, that I'm aware of, is that a number of dealers are pulling the plug with Marty and moving to the "22nd Show" venue or to other shows around Tucson.  Not good for a long term health of this venue.

The Inns Suite is one the larger fossil venues at the Tucson show.  The parking lot in question has had a for sale sign on it for years but no one thought it would be sold.  I believe it is not owned by the hotel but used for parking during the show.   Remote parking will be a nightmare for those wanting to hop around to different venues. 

And trying to lug heavy/fragile items around on the regular shuttle buses is a pain for sure.  Sorry to hear this.

Ouch.

Yes, Marty is not doing his show in Denver next year either so the coliseum show is almost doubling!

8 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Ouch.

Yes, Marty is not doing his show in Denver next year either so the coliseum show is almost doubling!

Marty sold his Denver rights to someone that is setting up a venue near the airport.  It will be a pain getting around.

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

Marty sold his Denver rights to someone that is setting up a venue near the airport.  It will be a pain getting around.

Ouch!

By the airport? Yeah, that's the exact opposite direction. No more quick trips to the other show for me then I guess :/

Ouch is right.

All these promoters want you to spend your hard earned money but sure are not making easy to do so.  

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

The new venue in Denver is much nicer than the Ramada.  I visited and it will be a great show.  In talking with the vendors at the Ramada and Quality, it sounds like most of them will be there and not heading to the Colosseum.  It looks to be something like a much larger version of what the Merchandise Mart used to be before they got rid of the fossil dealers.  I am actually quite excited about it.

As for the Inn Suites, City Center, on the bright side, they will be building storage units in the parking area so you can store your finds.  Lol.  They do have a shuttle set up, but it will not be convenient.

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Marty needs to do something at the Inns Suite or he will loose more key dealers.  Lockers :rofl:

I heard the same about Denver and should be nice.  For those that like to move around its still a bigger commuting headache but hopefully over a few years most will migrate to this venue.  Like at Tucson the shift to the 22nd Street Show started a couple of years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm somewhat of a newbie after dabbling in fossil collecting for a number of years.  I've never been to the Tucson or Denver shows, and at the local gem and mineral shows you can see everything related to fossils in about 10 minutes.  I'm thinking I might want to attend the Tucson show in February but would love any feedback from anyone about it.  I've read several posts on this forum that make it sound like it is geared more toward the high-end collector, which is definitely not me.  The same posts make it sound like Denver might be better for someone like me, but that's another year away.  I'm the kind of collector who would be able to spend a couple hundred dollars on things like ammonites, trilobites, etc.  I could probably identify the more obvious fakes or restorations but I'm not an expert.  And if I do attend, do others from the TFF community who go there ever get together for any kind of activities?  Tagging along with an expert as they look at various offerings would be a great learning experience!

28 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

I'm somewhat of a newbie after dabbling in fossil collecting for a number of years.  I've never been to the Tucson or Denver shows, and at the local gem and mineral shows you can see everything related to fossils in about 10 minutes.  I'm thinking I might want to attend the Tucson show in February but would love any feedback from anyone about it.  I've read several posts on this forum that make it sound like it is geared more toward the high-end collector, which is definitely not me.  The same posts make it sound like Denver might be better for someone like me, but that's another year away.  I'm the kind of collector who would be able to spend a couple hundred dollars on things like ammonites, trilobites, etc.  I could probably identify the more obvious fakes or restorations but I'm not an expert.  And if I do attend, do others from the TFF community who go there ever get together for any kind of activities?  Tagging along with an expert as they look at various offerings would be a great learning experience!

Tucson would be a great show for any collector at any level. Most of the dealers who are not selling at Tucson are there buying their inventory for the year. You can buy plenty for a few hundred dollars!

i loved Tucson because in many cases you're buying your stuff from the people who found it so you get a better price and you learn so much more about your new pieces. 

The main fossil shows are spread out around the city so you need to know where to go. The members here will definitely tell you where your best bet is for what you want to see!

When you compare the two shows Tucson is definitely focused toward high end buyers from all over the world.  Having said that the show is perfect for all types of buyers and types of fossils from very high end to the average collector.  There are lots of venues to take care of all your interests and price ranges, you should have no concern.   It's always difficult to hook up with forum members, the Tucson show goes several weeks and everyone has a different agenda and timetable.   Lots of info available before the show.  

Not sure if you've seen this post 

Thanks, Troodon.  I hadn't seen that post.  Looks overwhelming but I can't pass it up.  My tiny $200 budget won't get me very far, but I'll have fun looking. 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any updates about the show?  We are about a month away and my flight and hotel are booked!

I will have to skip it.  My wife is recovering from major surgery and it will be spring before we can get out again.

On October 22, 2016 at 10:36 AM, HamptonsDoc said:

Tucson would be a great show for any collector at any level. Most of the dealers who are not selling at Tucson are there buying their inventory for the year. You can buy plenty for a few hundred dollars!

i loved Tucson because in many cases you're buying your stuff from the people who found it so you get a better price and you learn so much more about your new pieces. 

The main fossil shows are spread out around the city so you need to know where to go. The members here will definitely tell you where your best bet is for what you want to see!

I agree.  I've been going to the Tucson shows since the late 80's, missing only a few in between.  Yes, there are big-ticket specimens for sale but many dealers have plenty of $1-10 fossils as well.  I used to bring hundreds of dollars to Tucson.  Now, it's more like $150-200 and I still leave happy.  Don't be shy about bargaining.  Dealers expect buyers to whittle them down especially if they buy a few things.  Push for 15-20% discount and see how it goes.

You definitely want to buy anything Moroccan there.

• 1 month later...

Here are some photos from this years show. Nowhere near as complete as last years pictures from Troodon.

IMG_0346.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

French eggs

IMG_0424.JPG

One of Terry Manning's famous 21 eggs with embryo for sale. Therizinosaur. $35,000. I passed on it!

IMG_0395.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

Archived