Peace river claw or tooth?

Fishconner10

image.jpgI found this by walking in to the Peace River at a boat ramp and sifting, any help is appreciated! There is natural wrinkles on one side

You might want to offer some additional photos from different sides and ends.  Right now your pic is too distant and shadowed ( needs better lighting, like outside light) for me to really see it well.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Cropped and brightened:

image.jpg.837ad2663ead88a41c0d0041c201b22c.jpg          image.jpg.850e247ce3b61dd6427ee8fb97f0506a.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

End views could be help. At the moment, I could see it even as a barnacle. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The smooth undulating surface is indeed unusual. The last photo is finally reasonably sharp and shows this characteristic well. I'm wondering if this might be some sort of Tilly bone (hyperostosic bone)?

Was this a recent find? if so, where were you able to get into the Peace River at this time of year? The gauges I see online show the river about 11 feet too high to even approach with a sifting screen.

Unusual fossil--maybe someone has seen something like this before and will have a better clue to its identity.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Nope this was found 3 years ago on my first trip but I believe if you're lucky you may find a shallow spot also thanks for the info

On 10/8/2016 at 10:24 AM, digit said:

The smooth undulating surface is indeed unusual. The last photo is finally reasonably sharp and shows this characteristic well. I'm wondering if this might be some sort of Tilly bone (hyperostosic bone)?

Was this a recent find? if so, where were you able to get into the Peace River at this time of year? The gauges I see online show the river about 11 feet too high to even approach with a sifting screen.

Unusual fossil--maybe someone has seen something like this before and will have a better clue to its identity.

Cheers.

-Ken

Arcadia is about 8.5 feet and dropping fast I'll be out the first weekend I can

Last season the river teased us by getting close to a decent level in which to hunt only to get dumped on by a bunch of rain and spike upwards again--over and over again. I'd enjoy a return to the "normal" wet season followed by dry season though unusual weather patterns may become the norm as weather cycles become more chaotic. I don't use the phrase "global warming" because some smart guy will stand up on CSPAN with a snowball in his hand as "proof" that the earth still has a winter season. I prefer the much more apt term I've heard some time back--"global weirding".

Fingers crossed that the Peace River behaves this season. It managed to stash a whole lot of new fossils last season which we barely got into before the river level was off and running again. Now, its had another summer to populate the gravel beds and gator holes with a whole new batch of fossil goodies just waiting for us. One sure sign that the Peace is productive again is doing a search on this forum for "Peace River". Once you start seeing posts again you know we're back in high cotton again (and not high water). :)

Cheers.

-Ken

1 hour ago, digit said:

Last season the river teased us by getting close to a decent level in which to hunt only to get dumped on by a bunch of rain and spike upwards again--over and over again. I'd enjoy a return to the "normal" wet season followed by dry season though unusual weather patterns may become the norm as weather cycles become more chaotic. I don't use the phrase "global warming" because some smart guy will stand up on CSPAN with a snowball in his hand as "proof" that the earth still has a winter season. I prefer the much more apt term I've heard some time back--"global weirding".

Fingers crossed that the Peace River behaves this season. It managed to stash a whole lot of new fossils last season which we barely got into before the river level was off and running again. Now, its had another summer to populate the gravel beds and gator holes with a whole new batch of fossil goodies just waiting for us. One sure sign that the Peace is productive again is doing a search on this forum for "Peace River". Once you start seeing posts again you know we're back in high cotton again (and not high water). :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Good tip I'm gonna start patrolling the forum for that stuff as a indicater good luck hunting