Help needed to identify a NewYork State Fossil

BC7

I found this imprint on a walk a few days ago. It's common to find brachiopads, shells, and other such objects in this area, but this fossil is a bit different...maybe it's not, I'm not sure...any help would be greatly appreciated. New York State, Southern Tier, Chemung CountyIMG_6805.JPG

No.

That is, no one can help you identify your find.

Just kidding, I hope someone can, I want to know too. You asked a question and want an answer but the "question and answer" section may not be the best place for an ID. Try posting it in the "fossil identification" sub-forum.

If you find brachiopods it may be part of the internal structure of one but I can't say for sure.

Your impressions are all different sized so I am a bit perplexed myself. Hopefully someone may recognize something similar and shed some light on this one.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Can you take a picture in natural light with out the flash? That could help with seeing smaller details or shadows. With the current photos I can't tell if those are impressions into the rock or something rising out of the rock. Also, how about a wider view of the specimen?

The rock looks smoothed a bit as though it was in a stream or a glacial cobble (not unheard of in Chemung, NY).

Thanks!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The imprints are all recessed...I know the far right seemed to be raised with the flash bouncing back from it. I have a wider pic but it's too large to upload...I'll edit the pic down. Thanks, all! Doesn't this imprint seem a bit odd for the area?

The impression on the left seems to have markings within it. Perforations or webbing? The far right seems to be a series; an initial impression, perhaps sliding and then leaving a deeper imprint? Although different from one another, they seem similar and connected at the base...

IMG_6807.JPG

Well,... all of THESE GEOLOGIC UNITS outcrop in Chemung County. 

The age is listed as Upper Devonian. If it is similar to the Middle Devonian units throughout Western and Central  New York, there is definitely the possibility for plant debris. 

It could be impressions of a trifurcating branch of a plant. Not sure there is enough detail to make a further determination, but that would be my guess. 

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Doesn't the impression strike you as rather deep? Many of the fossils in this area are readily available and are almost superficial in comparison to this one...

The depth of the imprint is not an issue for plant - there were large trees in that time period. ;) 

The Gilboa Fossil Forest  Dates back to 385 million years ago -  the Middle Devonian (Eifelian) .

Probably some sort of Lycopsid. See this page

Regards,

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 hours ago, BC7 said:

I just posted this to an ID sub forum...

Your topics on the same fossil have been merged.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Those look like the casts of plant twigs/stems. I've seen a lot that looked similar. Interesting find. Congratulations.