how do you prepare blue lias fossils?

Arcturus_Bram

this summer vacation i spend a day fossil hunting at lyme regis i found some ammonites and bellemnites but also 2 big pieces of rock and i'm going to prepare them for a school project

the rock formation was blue lias

can i have any advice for cleaning the fossils?  

• 9 months later...

Hi there- new to the forum but found some fossils from blue lias rock up in Somerset and have the same question-- was there an answer posted to this?  Thanks in advance. 

Gotta watch that stuff @Arcturus_Bram and @thehandsomesquid this stuff can be really fragile. I know 

grab a pin vice from a well know auction site, they're really cheap (there's on next to my ichthyosaur paddle in the above link) and some needles. Sewing needles are good. The needle in my pin vice is actually for scoring lino and they're so cheap. I think I paid £10 or so for 50. 

Thanks so much, John.  Indeed it is fragile.  When finished do you use anything to seal or varnish the surface of the fossil and matrix?

23 hours ago, thehandsomesquid said:

Thanks so much, John.  Indeed it is fragile.  When finished do you use anything to seal or varnish the surface of the fossil and matrix?

Yes, Paraloid. If you want some pm me :) you might ask on the forum about how to tackle your fossils before putting Paraloid on it eh @Ptychodus04...,

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

Yes, Paraloid. If you want some pm me :) you might ask on the forum about how to tackle your fossils before putting Paraloid on it eh @Ptychodus04...,

Mix your Paraloid 1:50 with acetone. Brush it onto exposed bits and let soak into cracks. Try to avoid soaking the whole thing if possible. Carefully scrape away matrix as John mentioned earlier. Apply a little Paraloid to exposed bits if they are brittle. When you are happy with the preparation give the whole thing a healthy coating of Paraloid.

Archived