Lobster from Lyme Regis?

Max-fossils

Hello everyone!

First of all, I would like to say that I am new to the website, so if I am doing something wrong, please notify me!

Second, I would like your help identifying this fossil lobster I found at Lyme Regis (Dorset Coast, England) 4 years ago.

I am pretty sure it's a lobster, as a local paleontologist (Paddy Howe) said it definitely that; but he said he had no clue to what species it was.

Here is some basic info about the fossil:

Size: from left to right, around 4cm

Important: the head and the tail are missing!

As there is no head nor tail, I would understand it is difficult to determine which species it is, but I would still be happy if you give me an opinion.

Warm regards,

Max

image1.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

It is a lobster for sure, but nothing more from my knowledge to complete the request. :(

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It seems to be several leg segments, without any of the body.  It's definitely a crustacean ("lobster") but I don't think there is enough there to go beyond that.

Don

(Reply to @FossilDAWG and @abyssunder )

Thanks a lot for your replies and help!;)

It doesn't surprise me you can't ID it, I know it's hard.

Warm regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Don is right ... :(

Try to search in the context of Hoploparia, eventually try to prep carefully the fossil, or, if you think is necessary someone specialized in this, please do not hesitate to appeal  to that .

Edited by abyssunder
Suggestion

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

@abyssunder

I looked at Hoploparia, but I don't think it is that, because it seems a lot larger than my fossil. Perhaps mine is a juvenile?:fingerscrossed:

As to for the prep, I don't have the tools for it, and I've never done it before... Do you eventually know someone who can do that living in the Netherlands?

Thank you so much for your help!

Warmest regards,

Max

Max Derème

It won't be Hoploparia as the ones from there are all Cretaceous, Upper Greensand. 

The most likely Sinemurian ones are Pseudoglyphea or Coleia but I don't know if it's possible to tell with that one.

Tarquin

17 hours ago, TqB said:

It won't be Hoploparia as the ones from there are all Cretaceous, Upper Greensand. 

The most likely Sinemurian ones are Pseudoglyphea or Coleia but I don't know if it's possible to tell with that one.

Hi,

Thank you for the clarification, but I think you're wrong:(

I looked up when and where Hoploparia lived, and saw it did live in the Jurassic and has been found in Europe.

On one website I even saw a specimen found in Lyme Regis.

But I still thank you for your help, because I saw Pseudoglyphea and Coleia are also possible, even though I do kind of doubt Coleia a little bit.

So you basically made it all more complicated and confusing for me, but at least I don't have wrong information!

Thank you a lot for your help!

Warm regards,

Max

Max Derème

6 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Hi,

Thank you for the clarification, but I think you're wrong:(

I looked up when and where Hoploparia lived, and saw it did live in the Jurassic and has been found in Europe.

On one website I even saw a specimen found in Lyme Regis.

But I still thank you for your help, because I saw Pseudoglyphea and Coleia are also possible, even though I do kind of doubt Coleia a little bit.

So you basically made it all more complicated and confusing for me, but at least I don't have wrong information!

Thank you a lot for your help!

Warm regards,

Max

You're welcome! As far as I know, the only Hoploparia found around Lyme Regis is H. longimana from the Cretaceous Upper Greensand where it's something of a classic (I have several). I don't believe there are any from the Lower Jurassic there.

Tarquin

@FossilDAWG @TqB

Ok, well thank you for all the info!

Max Derème