October 2016 Finds Of The Month

JohnJ

The VFOTM contest was a close one in September.  The two winning finds were 'firsts' for both members.  Congratulations again to Doren and Mike!  ;) 

Since it is October, I could mention you should try to make a find so amazing that it 'scares' you when you find it; or find something that has 'haunted' your fossil hunting dreams...but, that's easier said, than done.  :D  So, you better just 'go scare up' some fossils!

Remember...carefully read the rules below, make sure you include all the required information, and submit your fossil!  If you have a question about a possible entry, please send me a PM. 

Please pay special attention to Rule #5: Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for Prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest. In addition to keeping the contest fair, this new qualification will encourage better documentation of our spectacular past finds. Best of success to all, and good hunting!

Entries will be taken through October 31st. Please let us know if you have any questions, and thanks for sharing more of your fossils and research this month.

To view the Winning Fossils from past contests visit the Find Of The Month Winner's Gallery.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Rules for The Fossil Forum's Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month Contests

1. You find a great Vertebrate Fossil or Invertebrate/Plant Fossil! Only fossils found by you.

2. Post your entry in the Find of the Month topic. Use a separate post for each entry. (Only two entries per contest category.)

3. Your Fossil must have been found during the Month of the Contest, or most of the significant Preparation of your Fossil must have been completed during the Month of the Contest.

4. You must include the Date of your Discovery (when found in the contest month); or the Date of Preparation Completion and Discovery date (if not found in the contest month).

5. Before and After Preparation photos must be submitted for prepped specimens not found during the Month of the Contest.

6. You must include the common or scientific name.

7. You must include the Geologic Age or Geologic Formation where the Fossil was found.

8. You must include the State, Province, or region where the Fossil was found.

9. Play fair and honest. No bought fossils. No false claims.

Shortly after the end of the Month, separate Polls will be created for the Vertebrate and Invertebrate/Plant Find of the Month.

In addition to the fun of a contest, we also want to learn more about the fossils. So, only entries posted with a CLEAR photo and that meet the other guidelines will be placed into the Poll.

Within a few days, we will know the two winning Finds of the Month! Now, go find your fossil, do your research, and make an entry!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I am submitting my Fossil Plant find of October 8th, 2016. From the Oxbow Lake member of the Duncannon formation, at Red Hill near Hyner, PA. My double frond fossil of Archaeopteris species halliana and hibernica, is Upper Devonian in age making it about 361 million years old. The darker leaf is Archaeopteris halliana and the lighter one is Archaeopteris hibernica. A closeup shows the veining detail and fertile leaflets. I included a drawing of what the live frond might look like. Enjoy this glimpse of the early forest fall debris from so many years ago. 

Lge double wet.jpg

PA090007R.JPG

PA090011R.JPG

Archaeo twig.JPG

Edited by fossilcrazy
Pictures had trouble loading.
  • I found this Informative 4

I would like to submit my first ever fossil find for Vertebrate Find of the Month for October 2016.   It is an Edmontosaurus annectens cervical vertebra.  It was found on September 15, 2016  during my first dinosaur dig on a private ranch.  Upper Cretaceous (Maastrichtian), Lower Hell Creek Formation, Powder River County, Montana, USA.  Preparation was completed by White River Preparium on October 11, 2016.   Thanks so much for your consideration. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

On 10/15/2016 at 11:20 AM, Susan from PA said:

I would like to submit my first ever fossil find for Vertebrate Find of the Month for October 2016.   It is an Edmontosaurus annectens cervical vertebra.  It was found on September 15, 2016  during my first dinosaur dig on a private ranch.  Upper Cretaceous (Maastrichtian), Lower Hell Creek Formation, Powder River County, Montana, USA.  Preparation was completed by White River Preparium on October 11, 2016.   Thanks so much for your consideration. :)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

No trip report? 

...I'm back.

29 minutes ago, Raggedy Man said:

No trip report? 

It's on it's way, Raggedy Man!  I wanted to wait for my fossils to be back from being prepped.  Shame on me for taking so long! 

47 minutes ago, Susan from PA said:

It's on it's way, Raggedy Man!  I wanted to wait for my fossils to be back from being prepped.  Shame on me for taking so long! 

Lol no shame. I have trips I didn't report at all. Im not able to hunt for dinosaurs so I must depend on fellow members reports..lol.

...I'm back.

I am submitting my Fossil Tooth found on October 15th, 2016. This specimen is from the Oxbow Lake member of the Duncannon formation, at Red Hill near Hyner, PA. My Hyneria tooth, is Upper Devonian in age making it about 361 million years old. It measures 2.1cm at the longest dimension. I have never observed serrations on a Hyneria tooth edge. This specimen has the feature well preserved. Enjoy this tooth from a large Devonian predatory fish. I'm not certain of the source to give credits for the realistic picture. 

PA200001R.JPG

PA200005R.JPG

PA200004R2.JPG

PA200011R.JPG

Hyneria for print Horizontal.jpg

Shiny!!!   Really neat tooth.  And how fortunate that someone had the foresight back then to photograph the actual fish too.

You sure have the knack for finding the most unusual pieces.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Found the 22 october 2016 near Bruay en Artois Northern France

Lepidodendron obovatum Sternberg  Westphalian(Carboniferous) in situ and after a little prep,the pink color of the plate and the size of it make it my best ever found :)

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

I'll toss in my latest Mosasaur tooth find for VFOTM. It has some beautiful colors and partial root. 

Mosasaur Tooth.

Found on October 11.

North Sulphur River Texas.

Cretaceous Ozan Formation. 

14682137_10206178987554140_8570284398102159449_o.jpg.2d15c688f58fe59b1b15a375c3d83b36.jpg

14543946_10206178984034052_7469028470424433046_o.jpg.a74b7ec60367c44d5dee83431b09e496.jpg

14681036_10206178985274083_5443978093921713397_o.jpg.64d2486846e47b358f11b2440831b879.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Dang! This would be an intimidating month to enter this contest, so many awesome finds. Even voting will be difficult enough. Keep'em coming guys, the eye candy is sure a treat with no tricks required.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I haven't entered anything for a while so I will enter a small find.

found 19 October while sieving some matrix

Ornithothoraces tarsal species unknown

Toolebuc formation Richmond Qld Australia

Albian cretaceous

avian as found 19-10-16.jpg

tarsal Omithothoraces Incertae sedis.jpg

Hi.  Here's my best Invertebrate fossil from this month.

Brachiopod

Gigantoproductus giganteus

Lower Carboniferous

Eyam Limestone formation

Derbyshire, UK

Found Tuesday, 25th of October 2016

image.jpg

Oh my. An Ornithoraces skeletal remain from the Toolebuc of Queensland! Do you realise how rare avian bones are in Albian rocks in Australia? I know already who I'm voting for...

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Cretaceous Shark(119 vertebrae, 3.5 feet)

Oct 22

North Texas

Eagle Ford Group- 90 mya

IMG_4863.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

Hello there!

Please find below some pictures of my first definite trilobite-related find that was collected locally by me - hooray!

Date found: Saturday, October 8th, 2016

Location found: Etobicoke Creek in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Geological formation/age: Georgian Bay Formation, Upper Ordovician

Specimen's name: two Rusophycus sp. (trilobite burrows), likely made by Flexicalymene sp.

Etobicoke Creek Fossil 11.JPG

Rusophycus 1.JPGRusophycus 2.JPG

Thanks for looking, and best of luck to all entries this month!

Monica

26 minutes ago, John S. said:

Cretaceous shark(cont.)

IMG_4996.JPG

IMG_4889.JPG

You have my vote buddy!

Thank you sir. This competition is always so fierce :o

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation

Hi there,

This latecomer decided to post an invertebrate entry for this month to had a bit salt to the competition.

That fellow was found on the 24th of october, no prep needed besides a little bath and a bit  of toothbrush scrubbing.

Crustacean

Etyus Martini

Albian (between ≃ -113,0  and ≃ -100,5) 

"Argiles Tegulines" (our gault clay somehow)

Lacs de la foret d'Orient (North of Troyes, Champagne, Frace)

Found Tuesday, 25th of October 2016 (no prep needed)

Size 3cm

etyus-martini-1-3.JPG

etyus-martini-1-2.JPG

large.etyus-martini-1-4.JPG.c93d728ba8f0

large.etyus-martini-1-1.JPG.08519aa3dda4

• JohnJ locked this topic