Found Rock In Pennsylvania Venango County

kathie

I found this rock in the woods a couple of years ago in Venango County Pa. I took a tractor back in the woods to haul it out cause it is heavyyyy. It now sits in front of my pond. I was wondering if it is a fossil and if it is what kind. thanks Oh the first 3 pictures are the rock is dry and the next pics are after I sprayed it with water.

post-1768-1244385659_thumb.jpg

post-1768-1244385792_thumb.jpg

post-1768-1244385806_thumb.jpg

post-1768-1244385832_thumb.jpg

post-1768-1244385852_thumb.jpg

post-1768-1244385873_thumb.jpg

post-1768-1244385893_thumb.jpg

post-1768-1244385912_thumb.jpg

It is lepidodendron, petrified wood. The diamond shaped rows are where the leaves were attached as the leaves grew directly on the trunk. It is a very nice specimen you have. I've found similar pieces in Indiana.

Guest solius symbiosus

Yep, it is Lepidodendron. A type of lycopod, but it is not "petrified"; it is a cast of the bark.

Great piece from Venango. Lots of nice Pennsylvanian period rocks out there and you found a wonderful piece of fossil log from a Lepidodendron tree. That would be a yard rock I'd be proud of. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thank all of you for the information.. if I was going to sell it about what would the going price be and I could not ship it, what would be the chances some one would pick it up?

Guest solius symbiosus

It is a very common fossil, so I doubt that it would bring very much. Then, there is the problem of finding someone locally, that collects fossils, that already doesn't have one, that would want that one,...

See what I'm getting at?

Cool specimen! Keep and use it as yard decor!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Just to round-out your understanding; when it was referred to as from the Pennsylvanian period, that means that it is between 318 and 299 million years old.

It's a lovely lawn ornament, and someone might buy it for that purpose, but the shipping cost would far surpass its value.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hmm.. half tempted to drive out there and buy it just so he can show me where he found it! :rolleyes:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

When I collected it in Indiana, I was looking for limb casts. They have sold pretty well in the shows we do in the west where it isn't common. The place we looked had pieces that weighed at least a ton and the guy had used them in a water fountain in his yard and had also done some of his fireplace with it. Dollar amount is whatever the market will bear.

I found this rock in the woods a couple of years ago in Venango County Pa. I took a tractor back in the woods to haul it out cause it is heavyyyy. It now sits in front of my pond. I was wondering if it is a fossil and if it is what kind. thanks Oh the first 3 pictures are the rock is dry and the next pics are after I sprayed it with water.

Yes I agree, it's a bark of Lepidodendron is curious I have the same sample near to my pond in the garden.....

bruno ;););)

post-967-1244655064_thumb.jpg

post-967-1244655481_thumb.jpg

Thank all of you for the information.. if I was going to sell it about what would the going price be and I could not ship it, what would be the chances some one would pick it up?

Depending on where you are, I might send one of my siblings to get it.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

Depending on where you are, I might send one of my siblings to get it.

In france buddy, but my wife does not agree I think !!!!! ;);););)

It is lepidodendron, petrified wood. The diamond shaped rows are where the leaves were attached as the leaves grew directly on the trunk. It is a very nice specimen you have. I've found similar pieces in Indiana.

Yup that what it is allright great find

Yup that what it is allright great find

I live in NJ, if i lives closer ill be down there already buying it!

Jake.

How could you possibly sell it Kathie.....Its a family heirloom......!!!!!!

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)