Extreme Fossil Hunting by Canoe

Cluros

A month ago I had the great idea of collecting fossils by canoe. I've walked out on lake ice in the winter to access cliffs normally unreacheable for collecting. Now I felt that I had another great idea to access places not collected from by using my old 16 foot canoe. My plans included taking my collecting partner, my wife.  Let me start by saying that my wife does not like open water in a large boat. So getting her to portage a canoe to the lake and paddle along the shore for a half mile or more to look for fossils was impossible. That is until I pointed out that the lake was at a record low and we would be going where she found her 10 inch Isotelus gigas two winters ago. I checked the weather report and the wind was out of the south at 1-2 mph. The weather report noted that in the afternoon storms would roll in bringing winds of 20-25 mph with gusts of 30 mph. I felt confident that we would be back to our car by lunch time, well before the front came.

That morning we loaded up our canoe and collecting equipment a little later than I planned and headed for the Champlain Islands. Portaging the 16 foot canoe down a steep embankment was a little tricky for us with all of our gear but we made it without any real difficulties. The lake surface was as flat as glass which was encouraging to my wife so we put in and started paddling north looking for favorable collecting spots. We rounded the point a half mile north of our car and pulled into the beach where my wife had found her Isotelus and we had found several nice Flexicalymene senaria. By the time we reached the beach it was 12:00 but I felt we had time to look around. Before I knew it we had found several nice trilobites for preparation and a large appendage or pleura. While we were after lunch I noticed that the wind was picking up and after 20 minutes of coaxing I convinced my wife that we needed to leave with our 50 pounds of fossils.

As we paddled out to the point I noticed that the swells on the lake were getting bigger and that some had white caps. The wind started getting stronger and started to push us out towards the middle of the lake. After 45 minutes of intense paddling I decided that we weren't getting around the point of land. At this point every fifth wave curled over the sides of our canoe and put five gallons of water in it at a time. I told my wife we had to make for shore before we swamped so we turned the canoe around between two swells and surfed into the beach of a private campground. At this point the waves were breaking on the beach and they curled over the canoe as we made land. By the time we dragged our canoe onto shore it was full of water and we were thoroughly soaked. My wife stayed with the canoe while I went to find the campground owner and see if we could cross his property to get our canoe out.

Fortunately the owner allowed me to cross his property. One of the campers took me in his car back to my own vehicle and a second camper offered to help me get my canoe to my car. The second gentleman had a hand trailer for moving sailboats which was fortunate as the beach was at the base of a cliff and the nearest egress was 500 yards away. On a side note, as we were dragging my canoe out, the trailer got stuck on a large rock. As I went to move the rock I realized that the rock had an 8-10 in Isotelus gigs enrolled on it. Unfortunately the trilobite was fairly water worn. Despite all of this adventure we came away with a number of very nice trilobites for me to prep this winter. My wife thought the trip was pretty extreme but based on the results said that she would go again provided there were no storms forcast for the afternoon.

IMG_20160910_120346462.jpg

IMG_20160910_143522164.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Nice finds and report! Glad you and your wife made it out safely!:dinothumb::trilowalk:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Here are a few Isotelus gigas finds from the trip. The second photo is of the one that stopped the trailer as we were pulling the canoe out.

IMG_20160910_164044734.jpg

IMG_20160910_164049753.jpg

Andy, sounds like quite the adventure. Riding a canoe in the lake with a big storm with white caps, must have been scary, but it sounds like, with the help of some kind strangers, it all turned out quite well. It appears from the photos, that in terms of finds, you definitely made out well. Can't wait to see pics of those prepped.  Thanks for sharing. Would love to go out with you in the canoe to some remote sites. Maybe next time.

Andy, 

Great report with a happy ending, thankfully.  

Glad you found some stuff, and got back safely, if wet. 

And the last trilobite I would take as a sign from the fossil gods that they were pleased with your travails. 

Thanks for posting this .

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow, I have to assume that you were on Lake Champlain since you mention the Champlain Islands...that can be extreme by canoe! I've fished bass tournaments there and got my butt kicked by the waves when the wind kicked up, I can't imagine challenging it in a canoe! You're hard core! :dinothumb: Cool finds!

Rob :D

Canoe + strong winds = adventure or danger, according to ability. You lucked out this time, but you cold lose your beloved wife and your prized trilobites next time out if you're not more careful. Sorry, but I know someone who lost her husband in this fashion. Nevertheless, thanks for the great report. Looking forward to seeing the prepped trilobites.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Great finds and thanks for sharing. It is always heartening to hear about unselfish actions of others to help those in need. My hat is off to them. I hope your finds prep out to your satisfactions. Please post pictures when done. Thanks again.