Christian D

Sorry, my grandma's not fossilized... The fossil I need help identifying was unearthed by my grandfather, a heavy equipment operator outside of Boston about 40 years ago. He has since passed away and I promised my Grandma I would research it for her. The stone is very heavy, the size of the fossil is about 8-9 inches long (I didn't think to measure when I took the pics). My Grandma can't remember for sure the town where it was excavated but it was close to the city.

I have no idea what it is or even if it actually is a fossil, we always assumed it was a plant, some sort of fern possibly. Would love to hear what you all think. Many thanks and let me know if you need better pictures or more info.

-Christian

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_2052.JPG

IMG_2054.JPG

IMG_2055.JPG

Looks to be a trilobite.  Wait for others that are better in the know of trilos in that area.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

It's a nice trilobite, I agree with the others ! No fake for sure. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The trilobite Paradoxides, ... along with a number of other genus/species,  is known from the Middle Cambrian exposures of the Hayward Quarry in Braintree - just outside of Boston. 

See This Website

Geologic info HERE.

Most of the exposures are gone, underneath a reservoir that was constructed after the quarry closed. 

That is a nice example from the area, and fairly rare. 

Great fossil! :) 

Regards, 

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

How's that for a fast response? We're glad to have you on the forum. Now, let this inspire you to go out fossil collecting yourself. The google machine can tell you all about the great places to hunt in Florida like the Pease River. You'll soon give up all your skydiving, coin collecting, whatever you do for fun now :)

Thanks so much everyone, you guys are awesome and I really appreciate your help.  Sorry I couldn't reply sooner but had to drop off kids.