MOVING: What To Do?

Gilligan

I may be moving cross country soon. I would be moving by Greyhound bus, so I would be severely limited in what I can take. How should fossils be sold or donated in this case? I might keep three or four pieces but that would be it.

These are what I have:

Butterstone Stromatolite

Bolivian Stromatolite

Nemiana

Trilobite

Mucrospirifer Brachiopod

Goniatite

Orthoceras

Carboniferous Fern

Crinoid Stem

Triassic petrified wood

Dinosaur Bone chunk

Cretaceous Sea Urchin

Eocene Fish

Luisian Stage Opalized Wood

Mousterian (Neanderthal) scraper.

A science teacher at a local school could make good use of them.  :)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

If you wish to keep them, stuff them in a USPS flat rate box and mail them to your new address. It is pretty cheap considering what you describe would probably fit in a medium. Good luck with the fossils and the move.

Actually, your post made me nostalgic. Long ago I could put everything i owned in a '68 Camero and still have room for hitchhikers. It's hard to say if I was freer then with little; or if I am freer now with abundance. 

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I agree with snolly... mial it to yourself.  And yes... last time I could move in a bus... well, that was before I started in with fossils.  

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

A science teacher at a local school could make good use of them.  :)

There is a high school near me but I have heard schools have high security nowadays, and there is a university in my city.

"Actually, your post made me nostalgic. Long ago I could put everything i owned in a '68 Camero and still have room for hitchhikers."

I gave away most everything from my youth, and in my early 20's made a policy that everything I owned had to fit in the trunk of a car. I had an adventurous life for about 12 years, then got married and started to accumulate "stuff" again.

I think my "stuff" owns me sometimes. It puts demands on me. Help...

Many high schools (and middle schools and elementary schools) DO have high security but that shouldn't prevent you from making a donation.  You can probably call the school office and explain your situation.  They can contact one of the science teachers and you can make arrangements to deliver your fossils to the front office.  If that isn't an option, the local university might be interested.  You should be able to contact somebody in the Geology/Paleontology department who can help you figure out what to do.  Personally, if the size/weight isn't an issue, I would opt for snolly50's idea and just mail it to myself at the new address!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I know a few universities that would love to have fossil donations, but that would require shipping them to the university of your choosing. Might as well just mail them to yourself for the same cost, unless you truly feel as if you want to donate rather than keep.

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

I tend to get extras appraised by a dealer, donate to local elementary, middle or high schools, take photos of the lot, record weight etc, get a letter of receipt from the school, and claim the whole mess when I itemize.  With 2 teachers on my street, donations are as easy as wheeling a dolly 2 doors down.  My kid's high school is getting 300 lbs of extras next week...gotta high grade and make room.  While I always have stuff to give individuals, I like my bulk donations to be a win-win within IRS guidelines.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."