Best adhesive to use on a hash plate?

Monica

Hi everyone!

Well, I've "damaged" my first fossil :(  Actually, to be honest, a student "damaged" the hash plate by removing one of the crinoid discs that was on it - I've circled the disc that was removed in the picture below:

post-22019-0-36905900-1469015516.jpg

I know that it's only one of many discs on a hash plate that's full of them, but I'd like to repair it if I can.  What would you recommend is the best adhesive to use to re-attach the disc that's been removed?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Monica

I would just use crazy glue, but white glue would work too. That's just my opinion. There are a lot of better options out there for museum grade specimens, but this is an expedient option.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:
  • Cyanoacrylate in this case is overkill.  White glue is much easier to work with and will bond securely to this surface.

How is a readily available and industry recognized adhesive overkill? Who doesn't have super glue at their house these days?

IMHO, one drop of cyanoacrylate which dries nearly instantly is much better than white glue with takes much longer to set. Besides, white glue is not very stable and is problematic over time. White glue belongs in a classroom to be used for art projects and has no place as an adhesive in a paleontological setting.

White glue will also only form a surface bond. If the individual specimens on the plate are loose enough to be pulled off by a child, you want a glue that is more likely to penetrate past the surface of the plate in order to ensure the piece doesn't pull off in the future.

• I found this Informative 3