Dino Egg Described from Hell Creek Fm

Troodon

We see lots of dinosaur eggs from Asia, occasional eggs from France and very spotty from the Two Medicine of Montana and Alberta.   Lets not also forgot the tons of mimic ones.

This month's SVP journal describes the first fossil egg and eggshells from the Hell Creek Formation.

The paper states that despite over 100 years of intense exploration, the terrestrial rocks of the Hell Creek Formation are void of fossil eggs.  The paper describes the first fossil egg and additional eggshell fragments from the Formation.  The two-layered structure of the smooth 1600 µm thick eggshell of Belonoolithus garbani permits assignment of the 6 cm x 8 cm to theropoda.

The material was found in Garfield County, Montana near the Fort Peck Reservoir

Screenshot_20161011-153804.jpg

Other eggshell material described in the paper are described in this table 1

20161011_161032.png

Table 2 compares the egg or eggshell fragments distributed in Montana and Alberta

Screenshot_20161011-153905.jpg

Paper is to large to post...

Reference: Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 

Fossil egg and eggshells from the Upper Cretaceous Hell Creek Formation, Montana

Frankie D. Jackson & David J. Varricchio

• I found this Informative 8

I got JVP in the mail today and saw this.  It is amazing that we have never seen dino eggs in either the Hell Creek or the Lance.  

That's a neat find.

re Garfield County.

The road from Jordan north to the reservoir is largely unexplored.  No large bones so a lot of the hoodoos at first appear sterile. However, if one looks closer, there are some  micro vertebrate sites rich with a wide variety of critters.  For some reason lots of ankylosaur teeth and some with nice roots. Also some micro mammal teeth. The times I explored along that stretch I dont recall finding eggshell but might not have recognized the fragments.

30 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

Well FINALLY!  I was starting to wonder if all North American dinosaurs were sterile!  Thanks for the post, Troodon!

-Joe

Ha!

Some dinos may have been like some reptiles and fish... don't lay eggs but they hatch within the mother and she gives live birth.

What a wonderful find.

Always happy to see eggs from new localities pop up.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Yes it's nice to see egg material from the Hell Creek gives collectors a hope of finding some fragments..  

I've gone up that road from Jordan many times Canadawest and it's pretty rough country.  Never collected and I think mostly BLM land.  

The paper believes that because of the thickness of the eggshell is not from an avian theropod.  So if your looking at what's out there that it can be from the candidates are pretty few and include tyrannosaurs.

• I found this Informative 1

12 hours ago, Canadawest said:

The road from Jordan north to the reservoir is largely unexplored.  

I would argue that the road north of Jordan is one of the most intensely explored in the world, due to the large numbers of university/museum field crews from around the country that prospect the public (BLM/state/FWS/ACE/BR) lands in that area every summer. It's a busy place.

18 minutes ago, Opisthotriton said:

I would argue that the road north of Jordan is one of the most intensely explored in the world, due to the large numbers of university/museum field crews from around the country that prospect the public (BLM/state/FWS/ACE/BR) lands in that area every summer. It's a busy place.

Perhaps in some areas but not where I go. Its a huge area.  How many 'crews' are you speaking of in a season?  A half dozen?  That cant even scratch the surface.

Never seen any trace of anyone.  And, few field crews are all that knowledgeable of prospecting in Cretaceous badlands.   Most are made up of university students, etc. without the years of experience.  I'd take a couple of my decades-of-experience hiking friends from our Cretaceous badlands and they'd find more collecting sites in a day than any whole field crew ( of mostly students)in a month.

The same with finding trilobite sites in our mountains or Carboniferous shark teeth...or blastoids, etc.  A hundred people could start looking but I'd rather have one seasoned person who has been out prospecting for his lifetime.

We also address questions pertinent to turtle eggs.  A new paper describes these eggs from the Montana's, Judith River Formation.  Nice to see what real Cretaceous eggs look like.

Scale is  1 cm

Screenshot_20161012-115350.jpgScreenshot_20161012-115337.jpg

Reference: 

Lawver,  D.R.,  Jackson,  F.D.,  An  accumulation  of  turtle  eggs  with  embryos from  the  Campanian  (Upper  Cretaceous)  Judith  River  Formation  of  Montana,  Cretaceous  Research (2016),  doi:  10.1016/j.cretres.2016.08.012.

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Opisthotriton said:

I agree.... 

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

We also address questions pertinent to turtle eggs.  A new paper describes these eggs from the Montana's, Judith River Formation.  Nice to see what real Cretaceous eggs look like.

Scale is  1 cm

Screenshot_20161012-115350.jpgScreenshot_20161012-115337.jpg

Reference: 

Lawver,  D.R.,  Jackson,  F.D.,  An  accumulation  of  turtle  eggs  with  embryos from  the  Campanian  (Upper  Cretaceous)  Judith  River  Formation  of  Montana,  Cretaceous  Research (2016),  doi:  10.1016/j.cretres.2016.08.012.

Is it mentioned what family of turtles these are thought to be from? If an extant group then would interesting to see photos of the eggs and  read up on their egg nesting behaviour.

30 minutes ago, Canadawest said:

Is it mentioned what family of turtles these are thought to be from? If an extant group then would interesting to see photos of the eggs and  read up on their egg nesting behaviour.

Well like dinosaur eggs not assigned to a family but a ootaxon but has affinities to Adocus sp.

Testudoolithus  zelenitskyae