My new find - Archosaur tooth complete with root

Birdman

I found this tooth while searching my collection of Sussex Wealden, Hastings bone bed. Similar to the small size ornithopod dinosaur Hypsilophodon premaxilla teeth, but this species can be ruled out. It is more similar to the small ornithopod Echinodon, Purbeck beds, Dorset premaxilla teeth. The crown is smooth and asymmetrical. The root curls up at the end, similar to some Iguanodon teeth in original early illustrations of the Iguanodon species. I prepped the tooth out completely from the matrix. Tooth is very small being 5mm long. Can anyone help me with identification of this tooth?

IMG_7569 (2).JPG

IMG_7562 (2).JPG

IMG_7573 (2).JPG

IMG_7566 (2).JPG

IMG_7575 (2).JPG

IMG_7563 (2).JPG

IMG_7547 (2).JPG

IMG_7527 (3).JPG

Interesting you should ask that. Subsequent to discovering this tooth I did some research on theriosuchus, and the only thing is that the crowns of small Mesozoic crocodilians tend to be triangular, this one is asymmetrical similar to hypsilophodon. The neck of this newly discovered tooth is constricted. Do you still have the one you acquired from me a couple or so years ago? I can't find the pics I took of that one and would like to compare the two. Do you have any pics of that one?

• I found this Informative 1

I sure do and took a picture of it.   This one is crisper, looks similar but yours is more worn.   Could be the same and positional

IMG_5492.JPG

Great. Thanks for doing that. They do look similar. But I'm not sure mine is worn. Mine still has a sharp cutting edge - carina. This would be worn down the same as the crown, but it isn't. Can just be seen in the images I took, but not clear. I have viewed the carina close-up under a microscope, take my word for it, the carina is easily visible and sharp edged.

Of course, you have the image under a scope and if it have a sharp cutting edge it's not worn.   Does it have any signs of vertical ridges on the crown?

I can't answer that at this moment in time. I noticed the enamel had something on it but it was only on the distal side I think. I need to take another close look under the scope sometime. Thanks for your help.