Examples of Commonly Faked Dino Eggs

HamptonsDoc

4 hours ago, BadlandTraveller said:

@HamptonsDoc the image you posted, is it completely fake or are there egg shells on the top to make it look like a whole authentic egg? 

May be some real shell glued on but it's difficult to say without seeing the egg in person. 

8 hours ago, BadlandTraveller said:

@HamptonsDoc the image you posted, is it completely fake or are there egg shells on the top to make it look like a whole authentic egg? 

It does look like there's real eggshells on part of the egg. It also explains why different parts of the surface looks different.

I once bought a hadrosaur egg with different surfaces as well. As it turns out, it was made up of a multiple eggs composited together poorly, with lots of polishing and what was likely filler.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 16 October, 2016 at 5:00 PM, fossiling said:

very interesting thread. Our school has some fossil dino eggs for display, now I'm thinking they're fake.

Spotted some cement (?!) in the egg. Whoever it was did a bad bad job.

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

• 1 month later...

Here are two links to some other great guides for anyone who may stumble onto this thread in the future:

• 2 months later...

An online seller of counterfeit hadrosaur eggs is now selling very convincing Oviraptor and Segnosaurus eggs. The egg shell has texture and even pores that look very similar to as they should, but on closer look they are just not right. The color is good but the texture is off. Originally when I saw one of these for sale a few weeks ago I thought maybe it's just a crude prep job, but now that almost identical eggs are being posted week after week, I can see that these are man made.  Most of these eggs are of poor quality, perhaps to fetch a lower selling price and an uneducated impulse buyer.  Please beware of any eggs being sold from China or Malaysia! This group of sellers also has an account out of Cinncinati Ohio where they sell these fabricated eggs. 

The red represents matrix, the grey represents cast under missing shell, the black represents shell.  Some of the eggs listed are also partials which ask for less money. 

IMG_0078.thumb.PNG.b2a017e500c1770e324f043dfbc7b29c.PNG

IMG_0079.thumb.PNG.414d6517c9958a16be60bae1b91c2e71.PNG

Very convincing Segnosaurus egg

IMG_0082.thumb.PNG.98dcdb64156a8465fdd4d540fd1d2b7b.PNG

• I found this Informative 1

IMG_0083.thumb.PNG.304970f2e5f054b303a88cb6f96ff0ab.PNG

I would love to buy one to examine it in person but I already wasted enough money on this seller when I was fooled by his hadrosaur eggs a few years ago. 

Here are two examples of an authentic unprepped and prepped oviraptor egg. Note the subtle differences in the texture of the shell. 

IMG_0084.thumb.JPG.e2f72dbc7216c08afda56ef7a3a1b1d6.JPG

IMG_0085.thumb.JPG.bdcd1ad6968fe4ca732fb5a62998b4b0.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/14/2017 at 8:24 AM, HamptonsDoc said:

Here are some of the newer examples of fake eggs from Malaysia. 

IMG_0088.thumb.PNG.0b2e961ad8371f4f1e562ebde50b13b5.PNG

IMG_0090.thumb.PNG.b3272efb6e2e8033ae1cd89886f75f09.PNG

IMG_0089.thumb.PNG.09742dfad853128e987881241ddb1094.PNG

Here are some new eggs popping up on our "favourite auction site. These almost convinced me to be authentic, if I had to make a quick quess: real, since I`m not sure if it`s possible to fake oviraptor eggs like this? So I`m inclined to believe that these are real oviraptor eggs, everything looks good on photo; except maybe a subtile difference in texture to a real oviraptor egg, but minimal, hard to say. I would like to hear your thoughts? Real? Fake? Has anyone recently purchased these here and has had a chance to inspect in hand?

1P.jpg

4P.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

11P.jpg

It`s messed up that fakes are getting really good or this is real unpreped material? I don`t know... Looks good, but without feeling this in hand... Few more close ups (and last photo inverted):

8P.jpg

9P.jpg

10P.jpg

5P.jpg

5PP.jpg

11 minutes ago, RJB said:

Being that the fakes are getting to look so real, im glad im  not into dino eggs!!!

RB

If you ask me, the fakes that came out a few years ago already look too good... These... I`m not sure, these might be real, looks ok on photos; but want to hear what experts have to say or perhaps somebody that has had a chance to inspect or prep one of these in person?

On 11/13/2017 at 9:02 PM, aeon.rocks said:

It`s messed up that fakes are getting really good or this is real unpreped material? I don`t know... Looks good, but without feeling this in hand... Few more close ups (and last photo inverted):

I believe these are real eggs.

My stance is still this: the majority of this seller's eggs are fake, but there are some authentic ones like these oviraptorid eggs.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

The eggs look real but I find that it's hard to believe a tiger can change its stripes, maybe we have a first. Hopefully we get a report from killer2906 to see what he finds.  I would be very cautious until we get some feedback.

I'm curious to hear Killer's opinion of the egg he purchased when it arrives and it is able to be examined in person!

I hope Killer2906 has equipment to prep that egg. Would be nice to see the result when cleaned.

As mentioned, I think these eggs are real, can't imagine how they could make so good fakes... But, with 3D printing and technology nowadays hard to be sure... Unless they got a new way to get them out of China/Mongolia or an old stash...

• 3 weeks later...
On 14.11.2017 at 10:01 PM, aeon.rocks said:

I hope Killer2906 has equipment to prep that egg. Would be nice to see the result when cleaned.

As mentioned, I think these eggs are real, can't imagine how they could make so good fakes... But, with 3D printing and technology nowadays hard to be sure... Unless they got a new way to get them out of China/Mongolia or an old stash...

Yes, I have the tool to prepare the egg.

But I still have an egg that I want to finish.

Looks nice and real.

I've spoken to sellers of faked fossils before, and they so adamantly defended the fossil that I believe they believe they were selling genuine goods.

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 months later...