Sacha

Oct 13, 2016 Santa Fe River trip and ID help please

Sacha

Another trip to the generally unproductive Santa Fe river for me today, with a couple little things after 5 hours of shoveling limestone rubble. The first is 1/2 of a baby mammoth tooth. The stuff in the screen gives you an idea of what the "gravel" looks like in this little section of the river I hang out on.

DSCF1228.jpg

I need help with this 2nd little guy. Comparing it to images in Dr. Hulbert's book, the pre-molars, which are essentially oval in cross section, match with pocket gophers and rabbits. If there are any rodent enthusiasts out there, I would appreciate your suggestions. I'm guessing rabbit due to the size and the fact that several small bones found on previous trips were identified by Dr. Hulbert as rabbit. Hope this picture is good enough to see the detail. It does seem to be fully mineralized.

DSCF1230.jpg

Thanks for the time.

digit

Great finds! Glad to see you've found a spot on the Santa Fe which is workable long before the Peace River has returned down to a flow rate that is not instantly fatal. :blink:

Not a lot of stuff from those Santa Fe trips but always looks like you come back with something special.

Cheers.

-Ken

Fruitbat

The relatively simple, peg-like nature of the premolars and the long diastema (space) between them and the emergence of the incisor do suggest a lagomorph (rabbit).  You're finding some very nice material!

-Joe

goatinformationist

Sasha,

You must take a diving mask and snorkel the next time you go.  I grew up diving the Santa Fe, and I can tell you that there are boneyards of material down not more than six feet.  And please keep your eyes open for arrow heads and other artifacts.  I've not had a serious alligator encounter in many years now, but I do know of one (and only one) dangerous suck hole.  You'll have tons of fun with the wider vistas available if you wear a dive mask.  Best.

RCFL

Nice finds Sacha! I just happened to catch you hunting coral on tv this weekend superstar :)

good job!

Sacha
35 minutes ago, RCFL said:

Nice finds Sacha! I just happened to catch you hunting coral on tv this weekend superstar :)

good job!

Working on the show with the other Fossil Hunters has been fun. There are 3 more episodes coming, for a total pilot run of 7 shows. Still waiting to hear from Discovery channel, etc. to see if we continue on. #donbrunning should give us an update.

digit

John, I think you have to use the format @donbrunning to catch his attention on the forum. I've only used it a couple of times but it does seem to work well. Another novel feature of the new forum software.

Cheers.

-Ken

goatinformationist

Oops re. artifacts my policy is pictures only.  Sorry for the slip, I take the camera along on all trips and take pictures of everything.  You are of course correct to cite law and online etiquette.  I am afraid that I gave a false start.