Your Fossil Avatar?

TyrannosaurusRex

My avatar needs little explanation. 

Trilobite

Palladin marrowensis

Pennsylvanian

Bridgeport Texas

BTW: There is another less obvious specimen of Ditotomyge on the bottom.

Bone2stone

• I found this Informative 1

I remember hearing about Palladin, wasn't his motto (and mine) "have rock hammer, will travel?" ^_^

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Hi

Great topic.

Mine is a reconstruction of Dracoraptor hanigani, the oldest Jurassic theropod, as found by me and my brother. The full size reconstructed model and bones can be found in Cardiff Museum.

Nick

On 10/14/2016 at 3:28 PM, tmaier said:

Yes, you can modify that space right above your avatar to say whatever you want. I made mine say "Chief Comedian", but you could put some words to describe your avatar.

Mine title is officially "Village Idiot". It sets the expectations at a level I am reasonably able to achieve.

Mine is a self-portrait from a ceramics class in college.  It exploded into a million pieces in the kiln.  I glued it back together and gave it a brown patina.  Its me, fossilized... 

• I found this Informative 2

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

Great story--great avatar.

Thick ceramic pieces will tend to have problems heating in the kiln and can be like bombs. I remember someone's piece in a high-school class exploding and littering everybody's pieces with shrapnel that lodged in the glaze and ruined a lot of pieces.

Cheers.

-Ken

I like to change my avatar from time to time but my current pic is a Mammoth tooth as found when I pulled it out of the creek : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

On 10/28/2016 at 5:11 AM, jcbshark said:

I like to change my avatar from time to time but my current pic is a Mammoth tooth as found when I pulled it out of the creek : )

Love it! Did you find it in Florida?

yeah , a creek here in SW Florida. It's a very tough place to

hunt because of all the sand. Been there about half a dozen times and went about 3-4 miles searching and only found a small handful of spots to hunt but it does give out nice colors and a good variety, enough to make me hunt it sometimes: ) that Mammoth tooth is by far my best personal find there so far, it did come out in two pieces and about 10 pieces of roots of which I as able to attach about half

IMG_5522.JPG

IMG_5525.JPG

Fun topic!!!:D

So here's my contribution: it's an Aspidorhynchus sp. fish from Agadir, Morocco. It dates from the late Cretaceous period, more precisely the Turonian stage (90mya).

Well, I recently heard that it's actually a Rhynchodercetis from somewhere in south-east Morocco, and dates from the Cenomanian stage...

Anyways, this is my best fossil fish, and I really love it so much, so that's why I chose it as my avatar^_^

Warm regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 10/29/2016 at 5:40 PM, jcbshark said:

yeah , a creek here in SW Florida. It's a very tough place to

hunt because of all the sand. Been there about half a dozen times and went about 3-4 miles searching and only found a small handful of spots to hunt but it does give out nice colors and a good variety, enough to make me hunt it sometimes: ) that Mammoth tooth is by far my best personal find there so far, it did come out in two pieces and about 10 pieces of roots of which I as able to attach about half

IMG_5522.JPG

IMG_5525.JPG

Wow that thing is massive!! How much does a tooth like that weigh?

On 10/30/2016 at 0:50 PM, Max-fossils said:

Fun topic!!!:D

So here's my contribution: it's an Aspidorhynchus sp. fish from Agadir, Morocco. It dates from the late Cretaceous period, more precisely the Turonian stage (90mya).

Well, I recently heard that it's actually a Rhynchodercetis from somewhere in south-east Morocco, and dates from the Cenomanian stage...

Anyways, this is my best fossil fish, and I really love it so much, so that's why I chose it as my avatar^_^

Warm regards,

Max

Absolutely love it.

1 hour ago, TyrannosaurusRex said:

Absolutely love it.

Thanks!^_^

Yours looks great too!

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Here's my imitation of a Florida fossil collector, complaining about a hard collecting day...

"Yeah, I had to bend over and pick it up. There was some sand on it, so I had to wipe it off. Woosh! Am I beat! Then I took a swim."

:)

58 minutes ago, tmaier said:

Here's my imitation of a Florida fossil collector, complaining about a hard collecting day...

"Yeah, I had to bend over and pick it up. There was some sand on it, so I had to wipe it off. Woosh! Am I beat! Then I took a swim."

:)

LOL That sounds about right! ; ) It was about 17 lbs, thought I may have to have a chopper airlift it out for me but after some debate figured the canoe could handle the extra load : )

2 hours ago, jcbshark said:

That sounds about right! ; ) It was about 17 lbs, thought I may have to have a chopper airlift it out for me but after some debate figured the canoe could handle the extra load : )

:rofl: 

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hey All,

I was thinking that it may be nice if You could post the avatar picture. That way when (if) You change Your avatar Your post will still have a correct identification.

Mine is 2 male Anna's Hummingbird. It has a ways to go before it becomes a fossil.

painting 1.jpgpainting 22.jpgpainting 21.jpg

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

8 hours ago, ynot said:

Hey All,

I was thinking that it may be nice if You could post the avatar picture. That way when (if) You change Your avatar Your post will still have a correct identification.

Mine is 2 male Anna's Hummingbird. It has a ways to go before it becomes a fossil.

Oh, so that's what your avatar is!

Also, I agree it's a good idea to post the actual pic, so here's mine (with the old info).

923988132DSC-0101.JPG

Max Derème

On 10/24/2016 at 9:18 PM, dre464 said:

Mine is a self-portrait from a ceramics class in college.  It exploded into a million pieces in the kiln.  I glued it back together and gave it a brown patina.  Its me, fossilized... 

Whoa, I have had days when it felt as if my head was about to explode!

Mine is a Prodactylioceras Davio found on Golden Cap in Dorset the other year, it is a cracking ammonite it is complete in a cannon ball nodule.

Where are you Ichthyosaur.