NJ Cretaceous Tooth

Trevor

You made some very good close-up shots. But they show what looks like laminations of iron mineral, and not like a fossilized enamel at all.

I'm not sure what it is... I seriously doubt tooth, and doesn't look like bone, either. Wait for more opinions

I took a bunch more pictures just now and see that the lighting in the photos does not do it justice. I am not thinking with my hopes or falling in love with my find but I believe there is some enamel left over and that it is indeed a tooth. I will try to take some better pictures and may just show it to some of the NJ people in person.  

: )

Hey Trevor,

I have to agree with tmaier on this, it looks like a chip of an iron concretion. What looks like enamel could be a exposed layer surface (I do not see anything that looks like enamel so that is just a thought.).

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

In the New Jersey brooks, some specimens of fossil bone get an 'ironized' appearance. Personally, I see a bone structure here. I wouldn't attempt to go any further than that without it 'in hand' and even then I might come up with nothing, but I'm a vote for fossilized bone/really worn tooth, but leaning towards bone.

Look at the bottom right of the fourth picture.

• I found this Informative 1

I think its part of a Enchodus Tooth/Fang or jaw section..

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

21 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

In the New Jersey brooks, some specimens of fossil bone get an 'ironized' appearance. Personally, I see a bone structure here. I wouldn't attempt to go any further than that without it 'in hand' and even then I might come up with nothing, but I'm a vote for fossilized bone/really worn tooth, but leaning towards bone.

Look at the bottom right of the fourth picture.

Agreed. The sixth one is pretty convincing also.