DUGONG (Manatee), Whale, ... or Fossil Corals ???

LONGOF

I have been found relatively abundant fossil remains of what I think can be dugong (manatee) ribs and other related bones (?), in the Caribbean.  Mostly end on pointed-ends.  I have heard about the burial social preferences of manatees also.  They are relatively common but any skull has been found yet.

Can you help me to ID these bone-like fossils??  How to differenciate it even from fossil whales.  Thanks deeply for all your help adorable Community !!

DUGONG07.jpg

DUGONG28.jpg

DUGONG17.jpg

Not yet Lori, but please take in account that I have found hundreds of these bone-like/rib-like fossils. as burial settlements.  Please take a look on the other pictures, where pieces end as narrow ends, like ribs.  They are very solid also.  Thanks for your help Lori and all collegaues!!  Your experienced wonderful and very valuable help is very useful for all of us!

DUGONG30.jpg

DUGONG36.jpg

DUGONG24.jpg

None of them look like bone to me, but as Tony said, we would need to see an end view to verify. I am not a bone expert, but the rib bones I have found have an oval shape when look from the end, and really didn't taper like that. Also, long pieces would have a slight curve. From the views shown, I can't make out any surface texture that would indicate bone. The last photo you posted looks like it could be a root cast of some sort. Again, not really my area of expertise. Very interesting!

I agree with the others.
This kind of abundance and forms are typical to an ichnofacies. Sometimes, trace fossil burrows can be very large, long, curved, serpulating, branched or not, etc. Here is a partially specimen of mine, recovered from sandy sandstone Miocene sediments from Romania :

4.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I agree with the others.
This kind of abundance and forms are typical to an ichnofacies. Sometimes, trace fossil burrows can be very large, long, curved, serpulating, branched or not, etc. Here is a partially specimen of mine, recovered from sandy sandstone Miocene sediments from Romania :

4.jpg

Beautiful specimen!

Thanks to all of you colleagues, but our findings are not curved.  The also have up to 6-8 inches width and they're relatively solid.  Thanks for all your ID fossil helps !

DUGONG01.jpg

Interesting finds..

By any chance do any of the specimens show a freshly fractured or perhaps a non-weathered or clean/polished end that could show us the internal structure? We pick up alot of dugong and an occasional whale rib piece here in Florida and while much of it is very dense and wont show any real cellular/porous grainy texture, occasionally I do see some of the banding in the dugong material.  Right now I'm inclined to say what you have are traces of something else/casts...That first photo with the elongated specimen above the rock pick particularly makes me wonder...The structure below the rock pick looks more geologic like the mixes of limestone/marl/chert we have in some of the Ocala formation outcrops. By any chance do you know what formation you are finding these things in? Might be interesting to look into what the geologic map and pubs on the area describe about the rocks/geology of what you are finding these in.  

Thanks for the photos...good stuff...

Regards, Chris 

I goofed and didnt get to add photos of some examples of unidentified bone showing internal/exterior textures/probable dugong from FLorida

Bone Fragments banded ends.jpg

Bone Fragments exterior surfaces.jpg

Bone Fragments.jpg

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:00 AM, LONGOF said:

Thanks deeply for all your help adorable Community !!

On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:45 PM, LONGOF said:

Thanks for your help Lori and all collegaues!!  Your experienced wonderful and very valuable help is very useful for all of us!

Tsss tsss, don't try to take us by the sentiments !;):P

More seriously, i agree with the others.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Archived