Where to find ammonites in Austin Texas

The fossil man

The place I used to hunt for ammonites has been renovated, and now the creek is destroyed. I am looking for good places to find ammonites near Austin, Texas. If anyone knows any good places, please tell me the name and where it is. 

Part of fossil hunting is just that. 

Sometimes you need to get some papers and read, or look at google earth, and get out and do some bushwhacking to get to the good spots. 

Many people are reluctant to just hand out sites over the internet to people they do not know - just the nature of the beast here in fossil land.

Try starting your research HERE.  Keep in mind the info is very old, and may no longer be accurate. 

You might consider joining a fossil club if you don't belong to one already. 

Good luck with your hunt. 
Regards, 

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Research...research research and you guessed it...Moar research. The best spots are the ones you find yourself...and the ones mentioned in the old literature. I can say this is the best way to go. If you love fossil hunting, but hate researching...then well you're missing out. A quick search for the geological survey of the county you're looking for will show you more sites than you'll get handed to you.

"Loose lips, sink ships"

• I found this Informative 4

...I'm back.

The younger formations are better here in Austin. Certain formations/ sections of the Austin Group can produce ammos while others are barren. I have had some luck in Shoal Creek at Pease Park. I think it is the Georgetown below the Del Rio/Grayson in the bottom of the creek. 

You should get your hands on maps and guidebooks from the Texas Bureau of Economic Geology. There are some good ones for Austin.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:57 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Part of fossil hunting is just that. 

Sometimes you need to get some papers and read, or look at google earth, and get out and do some bushwhacking to get to the good spots. 

Many people are reluctant to just hand out sites over the internet to people they do not know - just the nature of the beast here in fossil land.

Try starting your research HERE.  Keep in mind the info is very old, and may no longer be accurate. 

You might consider joining a fossil club if you don't belong to one already. 

Good luck with your hunt. 
Regards, 

Well Said..  Coming from Minnesota to Texas I had to do my fair share of research and Just getting out their on the public lands. It's worth it for the real adventurous type. it's the hunt and the prize is finding that one piece that you do not have in your collection. I trade what I find and give to my favorite elementary schools because they can't. But it's all about the adventure.

Good Luck