Smithsonian Museum of Natural History

RCW3D

My family was heading to the zoo today but decided that we would like to go to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History when we approached DC...none of us knew it was National Fossil Day today! Stand by for more photos! 

1476555350959-2031947982.jpg

Rob :D

Well, we had a great time and enjoyed speaking with representatives from the US Forest Service, BLM, Calvert Marine Museum, and the National Park Service...It was pretty cool to see people who love their jobs that have a passion about sharing knowledge with people. We learned a ton in just a short time...pretty much mirrors my experiences with folks here! There were a ton of handouts for kids and one of my daughter's was given a Mako tooth for showing interest. There was so many people there today that we didn't get to spend the time we wanted in the museum, we did watch a IMax movie on "Living Dinosaurs" which was pretty interesting when it came to learning about how the fossils came to be. Very cool day and I highly recommend the trip if you are close enough to DC to do so! 

Some crazy goofball.

q.jpg

Dig the hat!

a1.jpg

My family learning the history of the Virginia State Fossil.

a.jpg 

Display

a2.jpg

One of the Douglass Point Displays

b.jpg

Bunch of fossils at the Smithsonian

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

h.jpg

i.jpg

j.jpg

k.jpg

This was another fossil that my family learned about from the National Parks representative. Fascinating stuff!

m.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks for the guided tour. You don't get to see a Helicoprion fossil every day. Did anyone in the USA other than the coworkers at the Smithsonian know that it was national fossil day? ;)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

15 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Did anyone in the USA other than the coworkers at the Smithsonian know that it was national fossil day? ;)

I know that we didn't! LOL! My wife just laughed and said, "it figures" when we entered and found out. 

One of the highlights had to be learning about the Placoderm, they spent a good 15 minutes with us explaining about it and the frequency that they are found around Cleveland during construction projects...fascinating stuff!