Port Royal, SC Shark Tooth Hunt 10/15/16

Brett Breakin' Rocks

Hello Everyone,

Thought I'd share some finds from Port Royal, SC.  I've had some free time lately, owing to a large storm with my first name on it .... so I decided to spend two days this week poking around to see what I can find.  Here are the best of those trips.  A few Hemi shark teeth and my first two (found on the same day) cow shark teeth !   Those were a surprise. A few fish teeth. Mako, g. cuvier, p. contortus

Port_Royal_Sound_10_15_16_01.jpg

There were a few finds I have questions about .. The tooth with the enamel and root, could that be another Tapir Tooth ? Tapirus Venensis ? The larger root looks like a toothed whale of some sort.  These deposits are always river deposits with a mish-mash from Miocene to Pleistocene etc ...

Port_Royal_Sound_10_15_16_02.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

23 hours ago, WAHAMA90 said:

Nice finds, and congrats on the cow shark teeth! 

Thanks ... they are tiny but they were fun to see when they showed up in the screen.  Besides, it was exciting to share with the kids on the beach at the time.  Their little eyes light up when you show them what was in the sand that they just dug up ...

Cheers,

B

Good to see you were able to get out and find some good stuff!:meg:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

44 minutes ago, darctooth said:

Good to see you were able to get out and find some good stuff!:meg:

Thanks,

It looks like with school for us extending by a week my trip with the family to DC is a bust.  I was so looking forward to some cold water, quiet scenery, and shark tooth hunting.  Maybe next year.

Cheers,

Brett

1 hour ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Thanks,

It looks like with school for us extending by a week my trip with the family to DC is a bust.  I was so looking forward to some cold water, quiet scenery, and shark tooth hunting.  Maybe next year.

Cheers,

Brett

Sorry to hear that, when were you planning on coming up this way?

Love the cow shark teeth...they are so different than everything else, you just have to love them when you find them!

Rob :D

2 hours ago, RCW3D said:

Sorry to hear that, when were you planning on coming up this way?

Love the cow shark teeth...they are so different than everything else, you just have to love them when you find them!

Hey Rob,

We normally come up to the DC area for Thanksgiving for a week or more .. and that gives me a day to head out to the Calvert Cliffs for a day but this year the storm has added to our teaching schedule and I'm spending Thanksgiving in Savannah this year.  Welp, gonna try again next year.  I'll give you guys a holler if I ever make it up that way next year.

Cheers,

Brett

Those cow shark teeth were fun .. a few mammal teeth too so I'm gonna try and get those identified.

Congrats on a good hunt, love the cow shark teeth: )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!