Palaeocarcharodon orientalis

belemniten

I want to show you this great tooth that i got on my birthday.

I never saw a tooth like this so i am very intrigued about this ...

Some information:

He is regarded as the ancestor of the great white shark, though this is not directly descended from him.

Palaeocarcharodon teeth in good quality have become almost impossible to find in Morocco.

My tooth is 4.5 cm long, about 60 millions years old (Palaeocene) and was found in Khouribga, Plateau des Phosphates, Marokko.

Do you have some teeth like this ? 

DSCN1700.JPG

DSCN1699.JPG

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Happy birthday and cool tooth, yes I have and its one of my favorite 

Elasmo.com has this tooth described very well under Genera and paleocene.  Lots of info..

http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html

Don't forget to check out the dention...hit slide frame on the P orientalis  page and then go to dentition on the top

8 hours ago, Troodon said:

Happy birthday and cool tooth, yes I have and its one of my favorite 

Elasmo.com has this tooth described very well under Genera and paleocene.  Lots of info..

http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html

Don't forget to check out the dention...hit slide frame on the P orientalis  page and then go to dentition on the top

Thanks very much Troodon ! 

Also for the great and informative link .... 

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

21 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

Here's one of mine:

shark_paleocarcharodonanterior.jpg

Wow nice Harry ! And this size :wub: Ǵreat !

Your is from the same found location as mine ... are there other good locations to found them ?

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Paleocarcharodon orientalis teeth are found in the Aquia formation of Marlyland. During a temporary exposure from a construction project in the St. Stephen SC area a limited number of these teeth were found. There has also been a partial tooth described in the literature from a NJ location. There may be an additional site in the US but at the moment the location escapes me. In any case these teeth are an uncommon find in the US. I would think it likely that Paleocarcharodon teeth could be found in other African phosphate mine sites outside of Morocco.

3 hours ago, fossilselachian said:

Paleocarcharodon orientalis teeth are found in the Aquia formation of Marlyland. During a temporary exposure from a construction project in the St. Stephen SC area a limited number of these teeth were found. There has also been a partial tooth described in the literature from a NJ location. There may be an additional site in the US but at the moment the location escapes me. In any case these teeth are an uncommon find in the US. I would think it likely that Paleocarcharodon teeth could be found in other African phosphate mine sites outside of Morocco.

Thanks fossilselachian ! 

Very helpful and Congrats ! 1000 posts ... thats a number :D

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Oh man!

I had 2 of these teeth that came in a bulk box I used for grab bags last month....

I thought they were strange, but didn't bother to look them up :megalodon_broken01:

On 10/18/2016 at 0:39 PM, fossilselachian said:

They have also been found ( extremely rare ) from a Paleocene exposure in North Carolina.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

31 minutes ago, sixgill pete said:

They have also been found ( extremely rare ) from a Paleocene exposure in North Carolina.

Sixdill Pete:

Do you have any info on the general area of these NC Paleocarcharodon finds. Most interesting since such locations are so limited.

Thanks all for the interesting posts ! 

Anybody know a location in Europe where you can find them ? :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

On 10/22/2016 at 1:27 PM, belemniten said:

Thanks all for the interesting posts ! 

Anybody know a location in Europe where you can find them ? :)

You would have to find an updated reference but I think Palaeocarcharodon is known from a chalk site in or near Faxe, Denmark.

Archived