Naticarius stercusmuscarum or Notocochlis tigrina?

BOWIE

Hello forum,while i was metal detecting a field, i have found a "natica" peep out  from a clump of dirt. It seems has many light-brown spot all over the shell and a large navel canal. Considering the plus common specimen of Naticidae that are my area, what's the correct genus:Naticarius or Notocochlis, the fly-specked moon snail or the tiger moon snail? To you the hard judge. Thanks!

PS: "natica" in in italiano it means "buttock":muahaha:

Davide

IMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

IMG_0538.JPG

Compared with a Notocochlis tigrina fossil from Pliocene of Italy, on display at the Museo Paleontologico Giulio Maini, Ovada - looks like that. IMG_0535.JPGNaticidae_-_Notocochlis_tigrina.JPG

I changed the color of the specimen in question for a better view of the color pattern on the shell. The arrangement of the "dots" on the shell looks similar to the one from the right. Also, Notocochlis tigrina has less "dots" than Naticarius stercusmuscarum.
For comparative reason, here are other two examples :

Notocochlis tigrina

Notocochlis_tigrina_01.JPG

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Notocochlis_tigrina_01.JPG

Naticarius stercusmuscarum

Naturalis_Biodiversity_Center_-_ZMA.MOLL.341398_-_Naticarius_stercusmuscarum_(Gmelin,_1791)_-_Naticidae_-_Mollusc_shell.jpeg.jpeg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Naticarius_stercusmuscarum#/media/File:Naturalis_Biodiversity_Center_-_ZMA.MOLL.341398_-_Naticarius_stercusmuscarum_(Gmelin,_1791)_-_Naticidae_-_Mollusc_shell.jpeg

Edited by abyssunder
Addendum
  • I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Sometimes you can soak a shell in bleach, then rinse it, then wait about an hour, and the color patterns will show up more vididly on some fossil shells. You see the patterns of the coloration, but not actually the original colors. The effects of this bleaching are most effective shortly after bleaching, and fades in the days and months later. The type of fossils this seems to work best on are the powdery white looking ones like in the original specimen in this thread. You will sometimes find that a shell that seems to have not patterns at all will suddenly have obvious stripes or dots after bleaching.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks tmaier for the advice. It works, here's the result: the brown dots are visible more neat. So, it's a tigrina, right? 

IMG_0549.JPG

Yes. It is a nice Notocochlis tigrina. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:40 PM, BOWIE said:

PS: "natica" in in italiano it means "buttock":muahaha:

David

:oyh:B)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

"Natica" is the italian word for "" ( from the latin: natis) maybe called with this name for the rounded form of the snail's shell :P :D

3 hours ago, BOWIE said:

"Natica" is the italian word for "" ( from the latin: natis) maybe called with this name for the rounded form of the snail's shell :P :D

:muahaha:. That's an excellent way to remember the form of something : comparisons that immediately "speak" to the mind and memory.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg