Purse State Park 10/16/16

RCW3D

I had the honor of taking a friend that I had not seen in 30 years and his family, shark tooth hunting. He had been monitoring my Facebook posts about all the fun my family was having searching for them and asked if I would guide him and his family. We couldn't have picked a nicer day, mid-70s and sunny...and the river has not cooled enough to make wading uncomfortable, his daughter even decided it was warm enough for a swim! As usual, within seconds of hitting the beach they had their first tooth and a little girl was smiling ear-to-ear! I brought some screens for them and showed them how to use them but as I told them, most of the time you can find just as many by walking slowly and looking. We hit the tide perfect and the water was lower than I have seen it all year, I was itching to strike out and explore but I stayed close since I was the "expert" (term being used extremely loosely!). I wish I would have got some pictures of them collecting, despite driving 3.5 hours to get there, and having to repeat the trip when we were done, they were all smiles the entire time we were out collecting and they had Ziploc bags full of teeth, shells, and sea glass. I think I hooked them because they are already talking about taking their camper to Smallwood State Park and going again.

As far as the finds go, nothing too exciting...after seeing WAHAMA90's report from earlier this week, I was amped up to find a paleocarcharodon tooth as well (of course, I'm always hoping for that one). We found the normal bunch of sand tigers and such,  but my daughter brought me one tooth that she thought looked different...and sure enough it was. After looking at my ID book, elasmo, and Phatfossils, I believe she found a Pachygaleus Lefevrei (Extinct Hound Shark). Pretty cool find and equally fun researching it this evening when we got home!

Our finds for the day...sorry, no cool Calvert Marine Museum ruler for reference! LOL!
14642009_10209047359955987_1280744695358858003_n.jpg 

Pachygaleus Lefevrei

p2.jpg

Rob :D