Is this a Cleoniceras bessairei?

Sagebrush Steve

I picked up this ammonite at an out-of-the-way rock shop in Northern California.  It is the kind of shop that has been open since the 1960s and never once cleaned, if you know what I mean.  The owner had a box of ammonites that had clearly been there for a long time, before the current owner took over.  This one looked nice so I bought it.  The owner didn't know much about it but he said it came from Morocco.  I've done some research and it appears to me that it is a Cleoniceras, which if I understand correctly, would put it from Madagascar, not Morocco.  I see from an earlier post about Cleoniceras that according to desert rat, if the ratio of width to diameter is in the range of .28 to .29 it would be a C. bessairei.  See the photos--if I'm doing the measurements correctly then the ratio I come up with is .287.  Could an ammonite expert let me know what you think?

Cleoniceras 1.jpg

Cleoniceras 2.jpg

Cleoniceras 3.jpg

I don't know if this is that species, but it is a nice ammonite.:)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Archived