pcjr65

I have found several of these and have gone back to harvest more for the sweet crystalspot.

The area also has cylindrical Stromatoporoid and favosite fossils. I also found two of these specimens with large (rare to me) bivalve or brachiopod species in the matrix. The base of which looks like a "C." 

The critters are in a certain strata of the limestone road cut. They are quite distinct in appearance within the wall, due to the long, radiating spicules (I think that's what I'm seeing) and the darker color. Of course, some actually appear with their crystal structures exposed. 

Thanks in advance for help with the ID.

20161013_092531.jpg

20161013_092052.jpg

20161013_092020.jpg

I believe you are thinking of a Chaetetid. Looks like it to me, but my record on picking these out hasn't always been so great. 

14 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I believe you are thinking of a Chaetetid.

I agree - look up Chaetetes images for comparison.

Tarquin

I can't figure out what these things are. I have found a whole village of these critters containing really nice crystals. It appears to be a species of sponge, to me.

Thanks for the help!20161013_092554.jpg

20161013_092531.jpg

If you take a closer view  you can see that It has the chaetetid sponge structure. For comparative reason here is a picture from this great thread :

1.jpgpost-6808-0-41696300-1356948262.jpg

Hope this help.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It occurs to me that you may be referring to dated materials. Chaetetids have now been identified as sponges. We are essentially agreeing with you.

Species identification may be beyond what is possible in a photo. 

On 10/14/2016 at 4:56 AM, TqB said:

I agree - look up Chaetetes images for comparison.

I think these may be chaetetes, but I can't find any other examples of them with pockets of crystals. Also, what if found on the dark (honey) calcite is that it's found in a few states but Kentucky was not listed as one. I have some more pictures of them and also left a really nice example of the actual creature at my hoarding site, which I'll get another trip and post the pics later.

Here are some more pics of the crystals. I'm hoping this will help figure out what these things are.

20161021_134841.jpg

20161021_135003.jpg

20161021_135016_001.jpg

20161021_134824.jpg

This is a relatively common occurrence known as geodization. It happens when the cavity of creature leaves a void where the conditions are right for mineral crystals to grow in their natural shape to larger sizes. 

• 2 years later...

The larger crystals of the cavity remind me of "dogtooth" calcite.

20161021_134841.jpg.2811820cdf1d94d61e7a306e09eaa28e.thumb.jpg.efd7affe47449d57d28381b1d4fe8351.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library