Sign in to follow this  
1AZ

Finds from Estabrook park area

1AZ

Picking up loose material I came across this awesome little find.  Still trying to determine the species , Should be able to after some more material is removed.zoomed.jpg

20161016_205705.jpg

Raggedy Man

Estabrook Park is a nice little place to hunt if you know where to look. This park lies within the Devonian, (Milwaukee Formation.)  and offers a fairly wide range of trilobite species. This one looks like a Dalmanites sp. Phacopida...ribit...ribit are easy to spot in these shale matrix as they look like a frogs head cresting just out of water. Complete specimens from the park are rare. 

Best regards,

Paul

caldigger
8 hours ago, 1AZ said:

Picking up loose material I came across this awesome little find.  Still trying to determine the species , Should be able to after some more material is removed.zoomed.jpg

20161016_205705.jpg

Peek-a-Boo!

1AZ

Thanks for the technical Raggedy Man. Always appreciated :)

smt126

Nice find. I've been there a few times myself. My daughter and I were talking about trying to hit it up one more time before it gets cold.

Raggedy Man
1 hour ago, smt126 said:

Nice find. I've been there a few times myself. My daughter and I were talking about trying to hit it up one more time before it gets cold.

Let me know when. 

piranha

It's not Dalmanites.  

The phacopid described from the Milwaukee Formation is: Eldredgeops norwoodensis

IMG1.jpg

figure from:

Eldredge, Niles (1972)
Systematics and Evolution of Phacops rana (Green, 1832) and Phacops iowensis (Delo, 1935) (Trilobita) from the Middle Devonian of North America. 
American Museum of Natural History Bulletin, 147(2):45-114

Raggedy Man
3 hours ago, piranha said:

It's not Dalmanites.  

The phacopid described from the Milwaukee Formation is: Eldredgeops norwoodensis

IMG1.jpg

figure from:

Eldredge, Niles (1972)
Systematics and Evolution of Phacops rana (Green, 1832) and Phacops iowensis (Delo, 1935) (Trilobita) from the Middle Devonian of North America. 
American Museum of Natural History Bulletin, 147(2):45-114

Shame on me..

Sure does look like a few Dalmanities from that area. Guess I should at that paper to my long list of reading materials and get familiar with them. Thanks for the correction Piranha.

smt126

I'll let you know. We will have to look at the weather report, but looking at next week Saturday as I took vacation that weekend.

Raggedy Man

Here's a picture that highlights the collecting area. This is common knowledge and well known to hunters in the area so disclosing it is not a problem.

clipimg09.jpg

smt126

Yea we always just go under the bridge there. We tried following the river down some one day when her attention span wasn't there. I was hoping to find another exposure of some kind, but we didn't have anything that looked too promising. I've tried looking at some of the old pictures and maps of the quarry, but there's been so much change since the quarry closed. My little ones only have so much patience, so exploring for hours isn't much of an option.

Raggedy Man

Were you planning on going this Saturday or the following week?

smt126

Following week. Hopefully the weather will cooperate

Raggedy Man
On 10/21/2016 at 6:39 PM, smt126 said:

Following week. Hopefully the weather will cooperate

Nice.