Leptauchenia nitida

aerogrower

Looking for some suggestions on what and where to buy or build some tools to get me started preparing my new  Leptauchenia nitida. I bought one in the matrix this weekend and cant wait to get started. Please go easy one me this is my first attempt at this and I am very excited to see where this goes! What tools cant you live without?

Knowing the type of matrix is key. Maybe a picture of the specimen as well? Context is everything....

• I found this Informative 2

...I'm back.

I agree that some photos would be helpful. Also, some idea of your budget will help to provide advise in the right direction. You can spend as little as 10s of dollars or as much as 1000s of dollars on a prepping set up.

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you for the replies. I am at work now but will get some pictures tonight and post them here. It appears at least to my untrained eye to be a relatively soft matrix. The piece came from South Dakota if that helps any. The color of the matrix makes me think some form of sandstone? As far as budget I would like to start out small to make sure I am even able to do this. Maybe in the hundred definitely not the thousands just yet lol.  Very nervous but excited.

You might consider reading this extremely informative thread about an  Oreodont Skull prep. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

57 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

You might consider reading this extremely informative thread about an  Oreodont Skull prep. 

Regards,

Fossildude19...awesome thread, good thing its slow at work! I cant wait to get started. Hopefully I have not gotten in over my head...time will tell. Thanks for the heads up

First a pic of what I think is the "bottom jaw" side of my chunk of rock? Is that the bottom front area of jaw at the top of pic?20161017_184532.jpg

Close up is same area. Is that a Crack that should be stabilized with maybe glue before it breaks or? Sorry about pic being rotated 180.20161017_184402.jpg

Same area from front which to me looks similar to a White tail deer lower jaw. Notice hole, I've seen similar hole in same spot. Also is that some teeth maybe?20161017_184454.jpg

Your budget is going to keep you pretty limited on tools. I would suggest an assortment of dental picks, a small nail set (from the hardware store) for use as a makeshift scribe, a small ball-peen hammer, and some X-acto knives. Take a look at the Black Hills Institute's web page as they have some decent tool kits. Also would suggest Paleo Bond adhesive and some PVA for stabilizer.

Definitely glue the loose piece first or it will get damaged.

Thanks  Ptychodus04 ..I am already looking at an air scribe lol. Not necessarily that limited on budget just want to start slow, see how it goes. Any thoughts on what kind of matrix im dealing with? Seems to be grainy, and sandy looking.  I also have a dremel and an engraver which Ive read can help in certain situations?  I just am apprehensive about where to start. Im going to start somewhere tonight. I also have most of the hand tools that you mentioned.   

If you want an air scribe, start with a knock off of an Aro and get a pancake compressor. This will run you around $150-$200. The Aro is a good starting scribe... not too much power.

You are probably dealing with a sandstone of sorts. A quick google search of the genus pulls up a Wiki that mentions many specimens in sandstone matrix. My advice on this is to practice on something else first. One always damages fossils when learning to prep. This is quite a starter specimen. Do you have other fossils to start on where you won't be heartbroken when you ruin them?

No I don't have others to start with. I was concerned right away because it looks like it could be intact to a large degree, and I really don't want to ruin it. Do you have a suggestion for a fossil that might be easier to learn on and a little more plentiful? I will keep lurking on here and see what come up for sale maybe. Its been waiting this long inside that rock, it can wait awhile longer right.

47 minutes ago, aerogrower said:

No I don't have others to start with. I was concerned right away because it looks like it could be intact to a large degree, and I really don't want to ruin it. Do you have a suggestion for a fossil that might be easier to learn on and a little more plentiful? I will keep lurking on here and see what come up for sale maybe. Its been waiting this long inside that rock, it can wait awhile longer right.

Smart. I'm not familiar with Michigan but I'm sure there are areas where you can go pick up some common stuff to practice on. I'd be willing to bet that there's someone on this forum who can point you in the right direction.

Of course, you can always send it to me to prep for you. :D

The rock is not a sandstone, but a mudstone or siltstone... much finer grained than sandstone.  It usually separates off of these fossils very nicely, but just as well, it leaves a wee thin layer of rock on the bones.  This is where a sandblaster comes in handy.  But  they tend towards expensive.  A toothbrush or and acid brush and water will also clean this stuff up, but they are much slower than the air abrasive.  Trim the bristles so they are stiff.   Always start where you can see the bones sticking out.  And also think about how you want the thing to look at the end.  Yo may want to leave a stand of rack for it to be displayed on.  I would avoid completely freeing it of matrix.  I've done a few like that and i think they look much better sitting on their own matrix.   

Thank you jpc that's exactly what it looks like silt or mud turned to rock! Im afraid to damage but im pretty confident if I am careful I will be alright. May wait and see if a more plentiful fossil comes available to practice first on. Very exciting to say the least. 

I've had reasonably good success prepping oreodont skulls (including a small Leptauchenia) using an engraving tool (on the lowest setting) and various and sundry dental picks and x-acto type blades for the close-in work.  The key to success using these 'primitive' tools is simple...take it SLOW!  The thing has been around for millions of years and there's no sense in getting in a hurry now!  The Miniochoerus gracilis skull shown below was prepared using a plain-ol' Craftsman engraver and it was even more encased in matrix than your L. nitida is (only the very tip of the cranial crest was exposed).

med_gallery_330_105_184105.jpg

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library