My First Dinosaur Dig Trip

Susan from PA

I'll start this trip report with a little back story. :)   About 5 years ago, my daughter, who is 8 years old now, started watching the PBS show "Dinosaur Train".  She became very interested in dinosaurs.  We took a trip to the Smithsonian, and watching her look up at the dinosaur skeletons in awe was amazing. Later, my son who is 6 years old now, would follow in the love of dinosaurs as well.   When I got home from Washington, I decided to see if it was possible to put together a little collection of dinosaur fossils together for her 4th birthday the following year.  I looked at a a popular auction site, and saw that there were many for sale.  I started with a  Nanotyrannus tooth, and it slowly grew from there.  I was always trying to win fossils from a seller in Powder River County, Montana.  I didn't have much success, as I was always outbid at the last minute.  One Saturday night when the auctions ended,  I hit the jackpot!   I won a Thescelosaurus metatarsal, and a beauty at that!  The rancher's wife, who also does an outstanding job preparing the fossils, was very concerned, and sent me inquiring about where the fossil would land up.   She said it was very rare, and that she didn't want it sold to someone who wouldn't appreciate it.  I sent her an email, telling her that the fossil would be in good hands, along with photos of my kids at the Smithsonian, and we've become good friends over the years.  She is like the sister that I never had.  We write to each other every day,  with most of our conversations not even involving fossils.  Fossils brought us together as friends, but we have so much more in common.  I would later learn that the reason she was so concerned about where the metatarsal was going, was because I outbid someone who was building a Thescelosaurus foot.  I am happy to report that the metatarsal in question has made it to it's rightful owner 5 years later, and is now part of the foot that it was always meant to be a part of in the first place. :) 

In April, member Troodon convinced me to ask the ranchers if I would be able to come out for a dig in September.  He's known them longer than I have, and has collected on their land many times. I was thrilled that the dates I had available fit into their schedule as well, and that they were happy to have me. :).   A few months later, Troodon decided to join in the dig as well!   It would turn out to be the trip of a lifetime.  Not only did I get to dig for dinosaur fossils in the Hell Creek Formation,  which so few people get to do, but more importantly, I got to meet some great friends!    

I left from Lehigh Valley Airport in Pennsylvania on September 13.  I had a 3 hour layover at O'Hare, and then continued my journey into Rapid City, South Dakota.  From there, it was onto Hill City, South Dakota, where I would meet member Troodon the following morning.   While in O'Hare airport, I was surprised to see a kiosk for the Field Museum, with a Brachiosaurus cast.  Perhaps a sign of things to come, although not in Hell Creek ;)

image.png

I met Troodon the following morning, and we headed to Rapid City for provisions, and then started on hour 3.5 hour journey to the ranch in Powder River County, Montana.   The last 45 minutes of the drive was all on dirt roads. If you ever get the opportunity to dig on private land on the Hell Creek Formation, I suggest you rent a 4x4 truck, not an all wheel drive SUV.  For example,  here is the road, and that dust bowl up ahead is Troodon.  He had to pull over several times for me to catch up!   Sorry Troodon!  I might have been taking pictures with my phone. ;).  

image.png

As we got to the rancher's property, some locals came out to greet us.  

image.pngI arrived at the ranch about 2:00pm, finally met my friends for the first time, and headed out to the dig site.  The site is a channel or microsite on the Lower Hell Creek Formation.  The site had two sides, one with mostly sand matrix that is easy to dig through, and one that has a lot of sand, but heavy clay areas as well.  The rancher had been finding quite a few T.rex teeth on the side with the sandy matrix, so that's where we started.  Here, I was able to get my feet wet, and learn what to look and feel for while digging.  If I had a dollar for every time I put glue on a concretion.....:).   I learned how to start with a shelf, and dig straight down to the bottom of the fossil bed.  I didn't find much the first day, just a couple of Gar scales, and bottom half of a Nanotyrannus tooth.  Still had an awesome time! 

image.png

More to come! 

The next day, we all headed out early to the site.  We were headed out to the other side this time, as larger bones were found on this side as well as some T.rex teeth.  

The sunrise is just beautiful!  

image.png

I admit, that need to be in better shape next time, as digging for fossils is not easy.  I have great respect for those who collect on a regular basis.  The rancher has a great eye for fossils and is an amazing digger, and having a dinosaur expert as well as an amazing digger like Troodon with me, was fantastic!  The rancher is also great with a backhoe, which is a blessing when doing this type of work.  

image.png

image.pngBelieve me, this dig was first class all the way!   :).    

I started red on a shelf about 2 feet deep by 3 feet wide.  There were lots of layers of heavy clay to dig through, but the reward at the end was worth it!  A vertebra that would turn out to be identified as an Edmontosaurus cervical vertebra.  

image.pngI was a nervous wreck getting it out of the matrix.  Troodon suggested that I take all the matrix around the processes with the fossil  and have it prepped out of the field, so that's what we did! :)

More to come!  

With the vertebra safely out of the ground and wrapped very tightly in heavy duty aluminum foil, it was time to head back to the ranch for a much needed shower, and some chicken on the grill for dinner.  When the rancher saw what we were grilling, he was teasing us for eating chicken on a beef cattle ranch.  We explained that we had hamburgers the night before.  

image.pngWe were up very early the next morning to head out to the site for our second full day of digging.  My shoulder was sore from digging through layers of heavy clay the day before, but I didn't care.  The excitement of what I might find with the next turn of my dig knife kept my going. :).   As I got toward the bottom of my shelf for the day, luck struck again!  This time, a metatarsal that Troodon quickly ID'd  as a Thescelosaurus metatarsal II.    As I removed the matrix from the bone, it started to crack as soon as it was exposed to air.  Some red labeled Paleobond was added to the cracks as they were exposed.   I was a nervous wreck getting this little fossil out of the matrix as well, as the borders of the bone were covered in heavy clay.  With most of the matrix removed, and a small pedestal underneath the metatarsal,  it was time to wrap the exposed surface in heavy aluminum foil, and get it out of the ground in one piece.  I was too nervous to try it, so Troodon came to the rescue!  :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

image.pngAnother successful day for a novice like myself!   I started another shelf, but didn't have any other finds for the day.  However, my rancher friend found this perfect Anzu wyliei foot claw at the bottom of his shelf.  If the Powerball ever gets to 500 million, I'm buying him a ticket!  Troodon suggested that I purchase it for my collection, and so I did. :)

image.pngThe second day came quickly to a close, and we headed back to the ranch for some steaks on the grill.  There's something strange about grilling steaks while cows watch from across the road.  

More on on the way!   I promise that this post will end soon!  

"I promise that this post will end soon!"

I hope not. It is very interesting and allows for vicarious enjoyment of your adventure. Keep it coming.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

We headed out the next morning for our last day of digging.  I decided to dig from the early morning hours until noon, as the rancher's wife and I were going to take a trip to the Carter County Museum in nearby Ekalaka, Montana.  I wanted to spend some quality time with her, as this trip was as much about seeing her as it was about collecting fossils.  

I was hoping for one of us to find a nice T.rex tooth on the last day of our dig, but no such luck.   All, it was truly the trip of a lifetime. I am so blessed to be able to dig in the Hell Creek Formation, as so few people get to do it.   It is an unbelievable feeling when you find a fossil that has been buried in the ground for 66 million years, and you are the first human being to touch it.  It's just surreal.   I hope that my husband will agree to be a single parent again next September, so that I can go back again.  

Here are the fossils that I collected, as prepared by White River Preparium in Hill City, South Dakota.  image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A very special thanks to member Troodon for all of his help and guidance during the trip, and for all that he does for this forum and all who love dinosaurs.  

A very special thanks to my friends from Powder River County, Montana who made my dreams a reality.  

THE END.   :yay-smiley-1:

Wow!  Great trip!  Congrats on the cool dino finds!  I have a brother that lives in Bozeman and have started networking myself to find some private digging access out there.  That's some beautiful country out there!

Here is the awesome Anzu wyliei foot claw that the rancher found.  I wish I could claim to have found it, but alas, I cannot. :) 

image.jpg

Excellent trip report, very well presented.  For a first timer you did quite well and I'm sure learned alot.  One trip behind you and hopefully  many more to plan for.

11 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Excellent trip report, very well presented.  For a first timer you did quite well and I'm sure learned alot.  One trip behind you and hopefully  many more to plan for.

Thanks so much! :) I sure learned a lot and had a great trip,  even though there are 3 toed sloths out there who could move dirt faster than I could.  As with everything else in life, you only get better with practice.  

Great report, Susan.  I'm sure it has further inspired your young ones with visions of a future trip out West.  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Amazing story Susan. I'm happy you were able to unearth some terrific finds and meet up with Troodon. I've been trying to find a site to take my wife and surprise her, but the fee some of these ranchers ask for is just absurd. You could buy several specimens for the cost to dig for a day or two and still not pay as much. 

Wonderful report! Thanks for sharing it and allowing us to live vicariously through you.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

What a wonderful report! Thanks very much, Susan! I really felt like I was there with you and sharing your enthusiasm! Maybe you could take the whole family next time :D

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thanks so much everyone for your kind words! :) 

Some of you asked about my kids joining me if I have an opportunity to dig again.   Although they were both very angry that I didn't take them along this time, they are very young, at ages 8 and 6.  While this particular site is a very nice and safe place to dig, I'm going to wait until they are old enough to appreciate it and understand what a privilege it is to be able to dig in the Hell Creek Formation.  My guess is that will be around the ages 14 and 12.  :trex:

Congratulations on a successful trip and thanks for sharing the great report out.  This is the kind of report that makes me jones to get out to big sky country someday.  Glad to see a local do well (I work in the Valley) For now I'll have to content myself with some semi-local collecting and a (fingers crossed) day trip to central Florida coming up towards the end of the year.

4 hours ago, Susan from PA said:

Thanks so much everyone for your kind words! :) 

Some of you asked about my kids joining me if I have an opportunity to dig again.   Although they were both very angry that I didn't take them along this time, they are very young, at ages 8 and 6.  While this particular site is a very nice and safe place to dig, I'm going to wait until they are old enough to appreciate it and understand what a privilege it is to be able to dig in the Hell Creek Formation.  My guess is that will be around the ages 14 and 12.  :trex:

Nice trip and report Susan.  As for tasking kids out, I agree with Susan.... the late Cretaceous  dinosaur beds out here are not particularly kid friendly.  Kids think that if you go  dinosaur hunting you will find a T rex tooth or a complete skeleton and be able to dig it up in an hour.  I have found that it is very difficult (for me anyway) to instill a sense of awe at hard work and isolated often incomlete bones, in kids whose dino world includes complete skeletons and stunning fact books and high tech computer animation videos.  

Wow! What an incredible experience!!! This is a trip that you will remember forever! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Rob :D

Archived