BSMiner

1-LOCATION

Near Shepardstown, Bullitt County, Kentucky.

2- GEOLOGY

Courtesy of the Kentucky Geologic Map Information Service at http://kgs.uky.edu/kgsmap/kgsgeoserver/viewer.asp#

Map Symbol: MDna
KGS Formation Code: 341NALB
Geologic Quadrangle Number: 740
Formation Name: New Albany Shale
KGS Formation Sort Code: 3410300
Youngest Age: Lower Mississippian
Oldest Age: Middle Devonian
24K Quadrangle: Shepherdsville
100K Quadrangle: Elizabethtown
County: Bullitt
Dominant Lithology: black shale

3- FORMATION

Courtesy of the Kentucky Geologic Map Information Service at http://kgs.uky.edu/kgsmap/kgsgeoserver/viewer.asp#

Map Symbol: Mdna
KGS Formation Code: 341NALB
Geologic Quadrangle Number: 740
Formation Name: New Albany Shale
KGS Formation Sort Code: 3410300
Youngest Age: Lower Mississippian
Oldest Age: Middle Devonian
24K Quadrangle: Shepherdsville
100K Quadrangle: Elizabethtown
County: Bullitt
Dominant Lithology: black shale

4- ASSEMBLAGE

Crinoid stem segments (white, short cylindrical, ¼” to ¾”) are very common in this area.  

5- DISCOVERY

Specimen was found loose, in a small creekbed. Very prominently displayed. Most likely washed downstream from higher elevations, although this creek is unlikely to flood (location was only a mile from the source)

6- CHARACTERISTICS

I believe, based on my research, that this is a specimen of Callixylon Newberryi, however I have my doubts do to its size in comparison to specimens I’ve seen on the internet, as well as it's location (ancient New York vs. Kentucky)- however there's a theory out there http://www.fallsoftheohio.org/Primitive_Plants.html that proposes this may be fossilized driftwood.  My specimen is ~17” high x 7” wide x 3” deep and ~20LBS, other pictured specimens are much smaller – however the segmentation and overall characteristics are very similar.

I was visiting this area with my Fiance’, who searched the area for “Indian Beads” (crinoids) as a young girl while on picnics. We found quite a few crinoids stems, but once I found one, I had my mind open for other fossils. I saw this specimen from 20 feet away, and it was very obviously different from the surrounding rock in the creekbed.  

Please see attached pictures – I’m looking for anyone who may be able to verify my research.

20160822_193927_small.jpg

All questions will be answered as best I can - other pics can be supplied..... One end really looks like marrow with a central ring and radiant growth - no tree rings (but I'm no expert in ferns, which probably grow differently.

I'm wondering if this is worth anything, outside of being a curio? I just think it's a neat find and want to know what it is.

20160822_194150_small.jpg

Maybe, I can't really say. It does look like something though. It could be petrified wood or a mineral growth that dislocated from its cavity. I will say that all the info we need is state, county, time period and formation. The info you gave gives an exact spot. While I applaud your thoroughness and attention to detail, I would restrict information that gives the exact location as people will see this and eventually strip the site clean. I'm just looking out for you and your sites. Good sites are hard to come by. Thanks for your post and welcome to the forum.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

BSMiner,

It looks to be  Callixylon Newberryi  to me. New Albany Shale is known to have the fossil wood from this Protogymnosperm.

Archived