Something For Docdutronc Or Any Plant-lovers

MOROPUS

As I am not an expert on botanical stuff (although I love the aspect they get when they fossilize!), I bought again a nice piece from Northwest Spain. This can be one of the last ones you can manage to adquiere, since they come from old coal mines that are inside a protected area now (this happened two years ago; this plant material was very common some time ago; now is quite rare to see them in the market, and becoming desired pieces!)

Well; who can Id it for me? I can`t find any clue for it...

post-62-1244476424_thumb.jpg

post-62-1244476458_thumb.jpg

post-62-1244476491_thumb.jpg

MOROPUS......... My best guess is Neuropteris flexuosa.... But Im certainly open to suggestions.... the central vein on the leafs seem very 'strong' for neuropteris, and the veination isnt quite so 'delicate'..... It could be the type of preservation, like 3d.... ive never seen this stuff before....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

MOROPUS......... My best guess is Neuropteris flexuosa.... But Im certainly open to suggestions.... the central vein on the leafs seem very 'strong' for neuropteris, and the veination isnt quite so 'delicate'..... It could be the type of preservation, like 3d.... ive never seen this stuff before....

Hi Maropus and Steve, I do not agree to Neuropteris flexuosa, it lacks the terminal pinnules common to all neuropterid ferns , I think Pecopteris polymorpha (polymorphopteris) the pinnules are fleshy, narrowed at the base, the central vein is marked (very "strong "as you say Steve .....all pinnules are pasted on all of their bases, neuropteris are tied to a single point...look the pictures

These plants come from Spain, probably the upper Carboniferous , Westphalian D or Stephanian , Neuropteris flexuosa was found in the level of the Westphalian B of Northern France.....

best regards ;););)

bruno

post-967-1244653544_thumb.jpg

post-967-1244653572_thumb.jpg

post-967-1244653611_thumb.jpg

post-967-1244653633_thumb.jpg

Thus Spake Bruno! ;)

I can see what you are talking about, how the leaves attach along the whole of the base rather than just at a single point or stem. Is the fossil from the Leon area? I've seen a number of those pieces show up on e-bay but I just haven't seen any that thrill me enough to buy and pay for shipping.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thus Spake Bruno! ;)

I can see what you are talking about, how the leaves attach along the whole of the base rather than just at a single point or stem. Is the fossil from the Leon area? I've seen a number of those pieces show up on e-bay but I just haven't seen any that thrill me enough to buy and pay for shipping.

Yes.But the thing is going to become overpriced, because the old mines are now closed for the fossil hunters, due to protection measures. :(

Bruno......I see what you mean about the leaf base...... good job I put (im open to suggestions lol) and thanks again for sharing your knowledge....I havent seen this stuff before... If the mine is closed to collecting, I suppose nows the time to grab some.....

Nice fossil.....Not a comon species.... 'down our way'!.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Bruno......I see what you mean about the leaf base...... good job I put (im open to suggestions lol) and thanks again for sharing your knowledge....I havent seen this stuff before... If the mine is closed to collecting, I suppose nows the time to grab some.....

Nice fossil.....Not a comon species.... 'down our way'!.....

Hi Steve

Polymorphopteris is a common plant in Stephanian levels near ALES (gard ) in France ,I find it in Grand 'Combe and Grand 'Baume ......

bruno