ID Please

khiggi01

Bizzare looking.  :headscratch:

I got nuthin.  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I get the vibe of a beach find and looking at some type of hard marine animal similar to a coral.

Unsure of the scientific term but Google black coral images for a comparison.

Mike D

5 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Maybe some sort of deer antler with part of the skull still attached?

I see where you're coming from on this but unless it were found downwind of Chernobyl I'm pretty sure that's not it. 

10 hours ago, Runner64 said:

Maybe some sort of deer antler with part of the skull still attached?

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I see where you're coming from on this but unless it were found downwind of Chernobyl I'm pretty sure that's not it. 

If this is an antler, it must be a pathologic one.

2 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

Sure would help if we knew where your finds came from.

Yes, it would help very much to have the location and, if possible, the geologic age.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

One possibility is a cast from a burrow like an ant colony. But without further information about the location, we're all just guessing.

Edit: Added image to show correlation.

plaster_paper1.jpg

...I'm back.

Is this made of wood? It looks like a wood burl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl

Other plants besides woody ones can get this type of growth, also. It is caused by a trauma to the plant, that causes a somewhat cancerous type of erratic growth. It can be caused by disease or insect damage. Some insect cause a growth like this, and then use the resulting burl as a home.

Does this float?

Her profile states she is in Indiana and one of the topic tags says Kentucky, so putting on my Sherlock Holmes thinking cap, I would say it was found in Kentucky. Now specifics as to where beyond that...I would have to switch to a turban for that one.  

monkey.jpg

Looks bone material to me. Maybe a regenerated antler after injury ?
Or maybe the "Y" of the deer antler alphabet ? deer-antler-letter-art-alphabet-photos-f:)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

7 hours ago, tmaier said:

Is this made of wood? It looks like a wood burl.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burl

Other plants besides woody ones can get this type of growth, also. It is caused by a trauma to the plant, that causes a somewhat cancerous type of erratic growth. It can be caused by disease or insect damage. Some insect cause a growth like this, and then use the resulting burl as a home.

Does this float?

I would agree with this 100% if it floats. I see reeds with this pathology regularly, but it does kinda look like bone doesn't it?

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

On 10/19/2016 at 9:42 PM, khiggi01 said:

Any idea what these are?  Thank you!

If you could tell us a few things about this, it would be helpful. :)

Where was this found? (State, county, city?) 

Is it rock, or wood?

To me it looks like either a gall that burst open on a twig, or a knot that has a twig growing from the center.

Regards,  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

"Is it rock, or wood? "

I believe the proper proceedure for playing this game is to start it off with "Is it Animal, Vegetable, or Mineral?".

And you only get 20 questions or guesses... we have used 15 already, so please people, guess carefully.

If we lose, then we have to wash this person's car.

It's been a tough week and this thread is really lifting my spirits. You are all bona fide wits, for sure! 

To the original poster, I'm confident the collective wisdom - as opposed to their good-natured humour - will eventually resolve this very intriguing enigma. :)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Doh! Yes! Of course... it's one of those Enigmas! I recognize it now.

I believe the species is Enigma confundus.

I can't wash somebody's car... old war wound of the knee... tennis elbow... stuffy nose....

I'm sure we can just resurrect Bletchley Park to crack this enigma.

I'm with you: I'm allergic to automobiles... that's right... very rare condition... thinking of starting up a crowdfunding page to raise awareness. And an allergy to cleaning, too. Old war wound, too, passed down from several generations... war of 1812 and all that :P

Every post she's put up says "ID please" with no other information, so i feel these are all going to be guessing games with no solid answers. I'm leaning towards pathologic Jackalope on this one also!

@jhw makes an excellent point. If the goal is for us to be of assistance in identifying your fossils, we need more information as to their provenance - such as location at the very least. More information, such as stratigraphy, will make things even easier for us. To use a USA example, if we wanted to determine where a penny was minted, and there was no information regarding the mint mark (S = San Francisco, D = Denver, no mint mark = Philadelphia), we would not be able to say anything precise about how many coins of this type were minted, and thus could not speak to the relative commonness or scarcity of that penny. Another example would be from archaeology: where in the layers the pottery shard was found is so important that some sites will not dig into the reference layer even if there may be artifacts in it because it is so important for being able to date the artifact.

1 hour ago, jhw said:

Every post she's put up says "ID please" with no other information, so i feel these are all going to be guessing games with no solid answers. I'm leaning towards pathologic Jackalope on this one also!

Yeehaaa !

back-in-the-day[1].jpg

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Archived