Rootin around Bridgeport Texas a bit

Moerose

I see a lot of people digging around fire Road B in  Bridgeport off 1658 and Wise County Park Road.

From what I understand that hillside is Pennsylvanian ?

What would be below Pennsylvanian about 80 to 120 feet 

Tim,

I had to look up Azle too. Sure enough, its Texas. But I wonder out of all of those other Bridgeports how many are in Pennsylvanian strata?

33 minutes ago, erose said:

Tim,

I had to look up Azle too. Sure enough, its Texas. But I wonder out of all of those other Bridgeports how many are in Pennsylvanian strata?

Good point, Erich. :)  

I just like to make sure people know the correct locations being discussed. 

Many times, threads start with a request for knowledge about a site or area, ... or fossil,  ... with little to no pertinent background information stated. :( 

Sometimes it is not obvious to non-locals what site or area is being discussed, and not obvious that the area the OP is from is where the area is located, or fossils are from. 

Clarity in writing on a text based, scientific discussion forum is important. ;)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Please look at Google maps. Circle the area in question and show us the map so that we can look at a geology map to see what is 80 ft below the Pennsylvanian rocks. I suspect that 80 feet below Pennsylvanian is more of the same, Pennsylvanian.

Check out this map of the area:   https://www.twdb.texas.gov/groundwater/aquifer/GAT/sherman.htm

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Based on the pictures, the rocks in the Lake Bridgeport spillway are all Pennsylvanian. Check out Mark McKinzie's book "Color Guide to Pennsylvanian Fossils of North Texas" for help with fossil ID.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Mark's book is filled with great stuff. Worth every cent.

It can be obtained through the internet or just come to the Fossilmania show in Glen Rose Tex next weekend. It will be available as well as many other publications.

Bone2stone

One thing I noticed about that site while checking it on Google Maps... the "90 degree straight drop" side is open, but the side that offers easier access is fenced off. I'd be careful about going there, fenced areas usually mean potential trespassing charges.

9 hours ago, DinoMike said:

One thing I noticed about that site while checking it on Google Maps... the "90 degree straight drop" side is open, but the side that offers easier access is fenced off. I'd be careful about going there, fenced areas usually mean potential trespassing charges.

It's all fenced off... that's the beauty of the site,nobody hunts there!

i have access due to the fact I work there!

IMG_2149.JPG

Archived