Vinegar / Water Solution on Limesand

njfossilhunter

I would like to know if anyone has used a solution of Vineger/water on a limesand matrix that was attached to some sort of bone and if so what was your results. I'm working on a similar situation and want to remove the matrix without doing any damage to the fossils. Some of the matrix is rather soft and can easily be removed  with water and a denial pick while some of the matrix is like a hard concretionary layer that's stuck to the bone. ...Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.    

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

34 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Gudni, any pictures of what you are working on?

I do have this picture Doren....The encircled area is the matrix in question ....Its loaded with Bryozoan  

2016-10-12 10.29.29.jpg

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

I have used straight apple cider vinegar (5%) on some shells and other things, not bone though with good success, so you can experiment on a less visible section to see what results may be.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I just found this on the internet.....What do you think of it.

example.htm

Tony

I have used straight white vinegar to dissolve (over the course of a month) limestone matrix holding teeth and bones with no detriment to the fossils themselves. The only time I have had issues was when fractures in the bones are cemented with matrix. You get a pile of very clean bone fragments.

13 hours ago, caldigger said:

I have used straight apple cider vinegar (5%) on some shells and other things, not bone though with good success, so you can experiment on a less visible section to see what results may be.

10 hours ago, Raggedy Man said:

I would use hydrogen peroxide and an electronic toothbrush. 

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I have used straight white vinegar to dissolve (over the course of a month) limestone matrix holding teeth and bones with no detriment to the fossils themselves. The only time I have had issues was when fractures in the bones are cemented with matrix. You get a pile of very clean bone fragments.

13 hours ago, caldigger said:

Thank you Gentlemen ....All your suggestions sounds good and I will experiment with all of them. 

Tony

Archived