Cannot comment  on ID but the crowns look likeso some have been attached to the roots.  Let's see what others say

Looks like a nice piece. I don't see any suspicious parts around the teeth and roots. And I agree that it looks like Prognathodon. Prognathodon generally has fairly robust teeth with a smooth surface on the enamel. The teeth are generally pretty fat and almost blunted which fits here. Those are the teeth of a bone cruncher.

Mosasaurus hoffmanni and M. beaugei has more slender teeth and their teeth are fluted. Though sometimes their teeth can be fairly smooth as well due to individual variation.

So yeah, looks like Prognathodon sp.

And I'm very flattered. But I'm by no means an expert on mosasaurs.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Any idea on species of prognathodon?  All I know about it so far is that it was found recently in Morocco. I don't want to seem too interested until a price is finalized! 

Any signs if predation on it? I'm terrible at finding those details even when pointed out to me.

thanks again!

I personally don't see any predation marks on it. I do see a interesting weird bump on the front bottom of the lower jaw that looks like it could be a healed injury. I don't think healed wound like this are uncommon but they are still very interesting and cool. Mosasaurs led violent lives. I have some Mosasaur jaws that have similar pathologies.

But interpreting pathologies is a whole 'nother ball game.

• I found this Informative 1

Now that's a beautiful, genuine jaw!

I agree with Prognathodon. Some of the teeth looks more curved than what I'd expect on Prognathodon though.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 3 months later...

Is the best way to label this guy Prognathodon sp.? Can we accurately bring mosasaurs past the genus level and label them with a specific species like currii or giganteus?

@LordTrilobite

For the time being, yes Prognathodon sp. would be a safe bet. Maybe more information will come to light in the future. Not sure about P. giganteus, but this is not P. currii.

• 2 weeks later...

Does indeed look rather genuine, but mostly it looks amazing!!! :faint::envy:

What I like most is where you see new teeth still in the jaw ready to replace older ones, that's something I've never seen before.

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Took a few months but he finally arrived and is mounted in my living room! Looks great and most importantly my wife didn't kill me when she came home and found it on the wall!  This thing is huge by the way, the small plaque is 5x7" as a reference!

IMG_0568.thumb.JPG.83df46fd7f7ba87b70d4a6cb4e37ac78.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

It's a terrifyingly beautiful and a terrifying display!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Just wonderful!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See