Repairing a Shell

IonRocks

So i still collected this massive shell, but it is (like most of the shells I find) in pieces. 

I need advice on what glue to get, to best repair it. 

It definitely needs stabilization, and the rock is broken in to multiple parts. So far I've had no luck glueing the sandstone

IMG_5444.JPG

IMG_5446.JPG

Try Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) to glue pieces back on.  Try not to use so much that it flows out the cracks. Once the pieces are together use a consolidant like Butvar 76 mixed with acetone to cover entire rock.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

7 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Try Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) to glue pieces back on.  Try not to use so much that it flows out the cracks. Once the pieces are together use a consolidant like Butvar 76 mixed with acetone to cover entire rock.

Actually, you want to consolidate then glue this way you don't weaken the glue joints by applying solvent to carry the butvar.

Also, this will help with the gluing. Sandstone is so porous that it will often suck up the glue so much that you can't get a decent bond. Consolidation first helps with this when using a very low viscosity adhesive such as a cyanoacrylate.

Archived