Please help identify

reichertcarving

I found this rock today and was wondering what it is and how it was formed. I have found several that are similar on our property. It almost seems like rocks that are glued together. This one was particularly interesting because of the cracked side. 

Thanks for your help!

20161021_231354.jpg

20161021_231336.jpg

20161021_231217.jpg

20161021_231132.jpg

Hello, 

I believe you have a concretion there. :) 

It reminds me of Moqui Marbles. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Ha-ha! Yes, a very weird concretion. I would guess that it formed inside of a void in limestone.

Limestone can be dissolved by water, and it makes pockets and holes like Swiss cheese. Then sometimes the reverse happens, and water deposits minerals back into those pockets. That is how I believe this was formed.

Sometimes those pockets were started by being fossils, so you will find trhings like this that take the shape of shells or other ancient critters. In this case, I can't see a shape that could have been a critter, so I think it was a random void space in the limestone.

Also, the minerals being depositied are ionic... they have electrical charges on them... and that can cause the depositied minerals to take on odd shapes when they become precipitated back out of the water that is carrying them. This forms quasi-crystalized deposits that can almost look like they were created by lifeforms, like those domed shapes on this one. Crystal and mineral growth used to be considered a rather mystical form of life back in the European medieval period. They though the earth was sort of practicing making life forms, because the organized forms that the minerals would take looked like it was trying to grow.

Anyway, interesting looking concretion-nodule. Where you find one, you are likely to find more. You also might find some fossils mixed in.

If you keep looking at rocks, eventually you find fossils, whether you are intending to or not. Most people don't even look, and so they are often in obvious places.

@DevonianDigger Now I just seem to have a song from the 90s stuck in my head, "Millions of peaches, peaches for free..." 

@reichertcarving: I'm glad you're not feeling discouraged; not only are some concretions just really neat in their own right from a geological perspective (as well as a learning opportunity), but they've also been known to temporarily fool even the most seasoned expert on occasion, requiring a bit more analysis to confirm the truth. Keep looking - some great fossils might just be the next trip away! :)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I love the peaches song!

I also like walking and looking for rocks, fossils, arrowheads or anything interesting. 

I won't give up