DevonianDigger

20161022_130511.jpg20161022_130519.jpg

When I pick it up, the concave side, (photo 1) sticks to my fingers. It's been cleaned with a brush and water. There is nothing on it, but it sticks to my skin (when dry.) Also, when I get it wet, it almost immediately sucks up the water and dries out. Grid measurements are cm, it's ~3mm thick. Found it on the surface among a ton of crinoids and corals. It's obviously not Devonian, and probably not even a fossil. Seems to me like skull fragment?

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

There was definitely bone around then (Devonian). After all it was the age of fishes. We'll need a closer look for the structure though. Tests like that are far from fool proof.

4 hours ago, Rockwood said:

There was definitely bone around then (Devonian). After all it was the age of fishes. We'll need a closer look for the structure though. Tests like that are far from fool proof.

I should've been a little more specific, this was at Penn Dixie, where there are practically no fish or fish parts typically found. On closer inspection it definitely appears to be bone, but from what? I doubt we'll ever know. Doesn't really seem to be fossilized though.  :/

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA