Second Annual TFF Secret Santa

IonRocks

We have so many generous members in this forum. Generous with their knowledge, generous with their time, generously sharing their fossil adventures and even, on occasion, sharing their fossils. I'm sure that all of us who wanted to take part in the Secret Santa fossil swap joined in because we appreciate each other's participation in the forum, and it's a great way to share the season with our fossil friends.

It's great fun to get a surprise package in the mail but I don't think anyone was expecting a "trade" of equal value. No one should feel like they didn't send "enough." 

I know my package, the one I sent, was a modest one, and not nearly as outstanding as the one I opened yesterday. Thank you Secret Santa !!!!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Had the box contained only a package of turtle shells , it would have been sufficient, but it also included,

Agatized coral & shells
Echinoids
Belemnites
Partial Whale Tooth
Geode
Bivalve & Gastropod
Horn Coral
Fusispira Gastropod
Bryozoans
Giant Land Tortoise shell
Fish Bladders
Clam 
Whale Ear Bone
Isotelus trilobite pygidium
...and more.

Most are from Florida, a few are from Minnesota. Nearly all are new additions to my collection and I'm so grateful for them. Thanks again Santa. You were generous way beyond expectations. Somewhere in my youth or childhood I must have done something good.

SS turtle shell .jpg

SS whale ear bone.jpg

SS echinoids whale belemnites shells.jpg

SS fish bladders.jpg

SS bryozoa.jpg

SS fusispira.jpg   

Agatized bivalve and gastropod.jpg

SS giant tortoise.jpg

SS horn coral.jpg

SS mollusc 1.jpg

agatized coral.jpg

SS Iso.jpg

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

20 hours ago, IonRocks said:

Wow, there's some great stuff this year. Looks like you've got some teeth to sort @fossiling 

Moroccan stuff? Looks like shark teeth mostly, but I think I see a mossasuar tooth in there. 

We all give what we can, it's mostly giving that matters here :) 

Yes, there really is a moso in there

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

It is really amazing to see all those great fossils. All santa's elves put the neatest fossils in the package. 

Maybe in the memory of john hammond who said “spared no expense”.

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

Hello everyone!

Thursday was a pretty terrible day (it took me 2.5 hours to get to my son's daycare, and then my son and I were forced to spend the night at my parents' place because the roads were too busy for me to drive home - thanks, winter!), so you can imagine how excited I was when I arrived home yesterday (Friday) afternoon and a package of fossils had arrived from my Secret Santa!!!  Here are a couple of pictures of the amazingly beautiful specimens that were sent my way:

Cretaceous and Jurrasic fossils from Portugal:

Cretaceous and Jurassic fossils from Portugal.JPG

red - Natica sp. (gastropod)

orange - Myophorella lusitanica (bivalve)

yellow - dinosaur bone fragment

green - turtle shell

light blue - crocodile tooth

dark blue - Lepidotes sp. scales (fish)

purple - Pseudocidaris spinosa (echinoid)

pink - Rynchonella sp. (brachiopod)

grey - Terebratula sp. (brachiopod)

Miocene fossils from Portugal:

Miocene fossils from Portugal.JPG

red - Venus sp. (bivalve)

orange - unidentified brachiopod

yellow - fish vertebra and teeth

green - ray teeth

light blue - unidentified crab

dark blue - Shizaster eurynotus (echinoid)

purple and included within red - shark teeth (included are: megalodon, sand tiger shark, tiger shark, Hemipristis serra, Isurus sp.)

THANK YOU SO MUCH, SECRET SANTA!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Holidays to everyone!!!!!

Monica

I am suspecting that not everyone is adhering to the $30 approximate value. What the heck it is the holiday season!!!!!!!! Some nice stuff so far , please keep posting the pictures............

Santa sent off his package overseas today.

A bit later than I hoped but we have been looking after my verg ll mother For the last 2 weeks so  time was an issue here lately.

Patience My American friend, It Will get to you, Just a trad later

I received my Secret Santa goodies and I must have escaped the naughty list this year...by the skin of my teeth!  A very nice selection of Ammonites and a beautiful bivalve from central Great Britain.

The bivalve and one of the ammonites are a rich mossy color that is really attractive.  I just want to thank my SS for his offerings and wish you the merriest of Holidays and a pleasant New Year.

SAM_3515.JPG

Thank you Bernie Claus!!!!!!

WoW Doren!

Your SS offered up quite a nice selection there!

Lots of good stuff from everyone so far!

Yet another generous TFF Secret Santa. Wonderful selection, and nice tree ornaments. ^_^

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I received my Secret Santa goodies and I must have escaped the naughty list this year...by the skin of my teeth!  A very nice selection of Ammonites and a beautiful bivalve.

The bivalve and one of the ammonites are a rich mossy color that is really attractive.  I just want to thank my SS for his offerings and wish you the merriest of Holidays and a pleasant New Year.

SAM_3515.JPG

Thank you Bernie Claus!!!!!!

Great ammo's Doren! You hit the Jackpot. Yes,the green one is a real gem!:ammonite01:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Wow! I must have been good this year to receive this wonderful gift!

20161219_214414.jpg

Unprepared fish, yule marble, amazonite, copper, Turritella agate, Grallator tack replica, belemnite, trilobite, blastoid, and the legendary poo's gold (pyritized coprolite)!

Thank you secret santa and thanks @IonRocks for organizing :trex:

Also thanks everyone at :tff: for another year of knowledge, wish you all a merry Christmas!

I can usually figure out who sent what by the fossils. This lot is such a mixed puzzle I just don't know, so I'll leave just it at that and wish you all a very pleasant holiday and a fossiliferous New Year.

Everyone evidently was very good this year. Great stuff!!!

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

I can usually figure out who sent what by the fossils. This lot is such a mixed puzzle I just don't know, so I'll leave just it at that and wish you all a very pleasant holiday and a fossiliferous New Year.

They are mostly from 3 neighboring states, one of the fossils is a hint to who sent it. Another one is too, if you have read a thread where someone is planning a trip to hunt the first fossil, and my secret santa said the second fossil is nearby :ighappy:

On 12/19/2016 at 2:53 PM, caldigger said:

Monica, what's that cold looking white stuff outside your house? I don't get it...literally! 

Yeah, we had quite a blast of winter last week - 15 cm of snow overnight from Sun, Dec. 11 to Mon, Dec. 12, another 5 cm (perhaps more) on Thurs, Dec. 15 (which is why it took me so long to get to my son's daycare), and another 10 cm or so overnight from Fri, Dec. 16 to Sat, Dec. 17.  Our "severe cold" warning was lifted today, though, so that's a bit of a relief - 0 Celcius feels so balmy after having a week of -10 Celicius and below.  Any non-Canadians interested in coming up here for the holidays? :P

Seriously, though, I do love having snow around for Christmas, so I hope that it'll stick around for at least a few more days.  Fossil-hunting is unfortunately on hold until spring, but I've already spoken to Viola about doing a day trip of fossil collecting in Arkona/Hungry Hollow this-coming summer - she's game - yay!!!

Happy Holidays to all!

Monica

I grew up in Southern California and the last time there was snow around the house was 1969. If we wanted to play in the white stuff, it involved a trip up into the mountains, which wasn't too far since I lived at the foothills of the San Gabriel mountain range.

Hope Viola finds some fun stuff when you finally go.

10 hours ago, caldigger said:

I don't know Doren....she must have done something wrong to get unprepped fossils! That's almost like a lump of coal :P

I actually got a lump of coal in my stocking one year. It sits on my shelf with other showy minerals. It was supposed to be a joke, but I thought it was cool.

31 minutes ago, IonRocks said:

Some day I'll figure out where to source some coal fossils from, then we can say someone's received coal!

I Can Pick You Up some coal next time I'm in Wyoming :P

14 hours ago, Monica said:

Yeah, we had quite a blast of winter last week - 15 cm of snow overnight from Sun, Dec. 11 to Mon, Dec. 12, another 5 cm (perhaps more) on Thurs, Dec. 15 (which is why it took me so long to get to my son's daycare), and another 10 cm or so overnight from Fri, Dec. 16 to Sat, Dec. 17.  Our "severe cold" warning was lifted today, though, so that's a bit of a relief - 0 Celcius feels so balmy after having a week of -10 Celicius and below.  Any non-Canadians interested in coming up here for the holidays? :P

Seriously, though, I do love having snow around for Christmas, so I hope that it'll stick around for at least a few more days.  Fossil-hunting is unfortunately on hold until spring, but I've already spoken to Viola about doing a day trip of fossil collecting in Arkona/Hungry Hollow this-coming summer - she's game - yay!!!

Happy Holidays to all!

Monica

Yes Mississauga is certainly making up for the lack of snow we had last year. I was fossil hunting up at Lake Simcoe the week before Xmas last year, this year the sites are buried under 2/3 meter of snow. It was so cold the other day that my windshield wiper snapped in half as I was scraping the window..... It was -21 before windchill factor......

I ended up participating this year, here are some beautiful ammonites (and ptychodus teeth) I received from NM

Thanks for these :)

IMG_5735.JPG

Humm, ammonites from New Mexico, for the life of me I can't figure out who may have sent that.

Nice ones!

Archived