QUESTION?! GMR..

SharkToothLover757

Hey guys! Just trying to see if anyone has been to GMR today or in the past few days...?! Or.. if anyone lives close by that can check the water levels of Elm, GMR Park, or 10th street..?! Please and thanks!!!! :) 

Edited by SharkToothLover757
Spelling

Thanks Rick! Is it shallow enough that I can be standing on rocks or would I still need to be in the water? I only have water shoes with me today and it's only 46 degrees. 

8 hours ago, SharkToothLover757 said:

Thanks Rick! Is it shallow enough that I can be standing on rocks or would I still need to be in the water? I only have water shoes with me today and it's only 46 degrees. 

I was in there for a few hours yesterday, the water was fine. I know it cooled down but it'll take the water a bit to get cold. 

I am am planning to go next weekend. Would love to meet up with you Tom and anyone else. I was thinking Sunday may be the better day since ECU has a home game on Saturday. Just thinking about parking.

What do you think?

Sunday would be great for me. Just let me know a time and the wife and i will be there.

10 minutes ago, Rustdee said:

I am am planning to go next weekend. Would love to meet up with you Tom and anyone else. I was thinking Sunday may be the better day since ECU has a home game on Saturday. Just thinking about parking.

What do you think?

I ended up going today to GMR.. I checked out the park first but there was a park ranger there that said the water from hurricane Mathew was so high it was covering the road in front of the park. In addition to this, 2 sewage places burst in the park and on the street and sprayed sewage everywhere for hours. They are going to start pressure washing it tomorrow but it smelled pretty bad. Sooo.. we went over to Elm. We sifted there for a few minutes but I kinda started getting nervous about the sewage in the water so I decided to call it quits.. 10th street bridge: you could see the bottom. A lot of waste, trash, leaves though. I'm guessing from the storm. 

If you guys decide to go this weekend, good luck! Keep in mind the water being a lik more yucky if you have any open cuts.. 

Holly 

9 hours ago, SharkToothLover757 said:

I ended up going today to GMR.. I checked out the park first but there was a park ranger there that said the water from hurricane Mathew was so high it was covering the road in front of the park. In addition to this, 2 sewage places burst in the park and on the street and sprayed sewage everywhere for hours. They are going to start pressure washing it tomorrow but it smelled pretty bad. Sooo.. we went over to Elm. We sifted there for a few minutes but I kinda started getting nervous about the sewage in the water so I decided to call it quits.. 10th street bridge: you could see the bottom. A lot of waste, trash, leaves though. I'm guessing from the storm. 

If you guys decide to go this weekend, good luck! Keep in mind the water being a lik more yucky if you have any open cuts.. 

Holly 

There is sewage in all the waters, especially after a storm. GMR is an urban stream and therefore is probably full of other things as well. You should be fine as long as you don't drink it. I've never had a problem. 

Hey! Yes I know there is sewage normally. But apparently there was a burst of human waste. That's a little different for me.. 

Lol... I know. I really was debating on getting in the water at Elm but I was to nervous with the smell and different color oils and muck on top of the water. I think another good rain and a week or two I'll be back in the water though.. let me know if you guys go this weekend! And post pictures! 

Human waste may change things for me too. Although I would think that is something that would be fixed fairly quickly. Not too sure on it though.

If not this time, we should plan for something in the future. GMR is one of my favorite places to hunt and unless I can drag a family member with me (they don't like fossils like all of us do) I am normally solo. 

I will def. let you know! I'll look at my schedule and see when I have off this month..

I have not heard of any water quality alert being issued for either GMR nor the Tar River. Normally there is one issued when any type of fecal waste is deposited into any urban stream creek or river.  There is nothing on the city's website either about a discharge of human waste. That would mean that either a city sewer line busted, leaked or overflowed or the same with the cities sewage plant. This would have been on the news and alerts certainly would have been issued. 

I think the smell and substances on the surface most likely were storm runoff from the surface streets and such. As Rick said, GMR is never truly clean. It is an urban stream. 

• I found this Informative 1

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

I'm not sure. When we got to the park there were yellow police tape, cones and road blocks in front of it. There were no other cars so we assumed it was just left over from the flood. We walked over to see how high the water was. That's when the ranger came over and told us that we couldn't be there because 2 sewage lines had burst and sprayed waste everywhere for 6 hours...? I'm sure you will be ok. Just be careful.. :)

I still think it's worth waiting. I've walked through miles of poo water in Iraq and Afghanistan and ill say, I hope to never have to do it again.

images.jpg