Pleistocene bones?

SheLovesFossils

Need help to identify these bones I pulled out of a cliff, if anyone can help that would be great! I have more photos if needed. I'm thinking bison, or some type of mega fauna. IMG_2433.JPGIMG_2422.JPGIMG_2425.JPGIMG_2439.JPG

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Where were they found?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

36 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Where were they found?

Thank you. At Arisaig Nova Scotia, in a cliff side, just above rock, there were layers of clay, and peat moss. They were in the peat moss. I dug them out and dug a bit more in and found a total of 6 bones. 

Great Find- I also just pulled Arisaig, Nova Scotia up on Google and the pics reveal that it is a very pretty place and the cliffs along the shoreline look great for fossil collecting. If I were you, I would stop back and look for the rest of this animal :dinothumb:

That's really neat!

While with the  Geological Survey I took a group from nearby St Francais of Xavier to Arasaig  area...but it was to study the Paleozoic stratigraphy ( mostly Silurian).

I have no expertise in recent fossils and never found much of anything mammal in the Nova Scotia area other than Mammoth molars at a few locales.  I never came across any bison material. 

However,  there are native kill sites in your area.  Also, along that coast of N.S. there is always the tantalizing chance that any remains found in upper layers could be Norse in origin.  Unlikely but fun to imagine.   There's some evidence of Vikings sailing through the Northumberland Strait. 

35 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

Great Find- I also just pulled Arisaig, Nova Scotia up on Google and the pics reveal that it is a very pretty place and the cliffs along the shoreline look great for fossil collecting. If I were you, I would stop back and look for the rest of this animal :dinothumb:

What's neat  is that Nova Scotia was once attached  to what today is Morocco!  This was long before the creation of the Atlantic Ocean.  The relationship was part of the icing on the cake that confirmed the theory of Continental Drift and the opening  of new oceans. 

Archived