Ptychodus04

Anybody interested in trying an Oreodont smoothie? :wacko:

I picked up this little guy to prep for a customer yesterday. Both lower jaws are there, one upper jaw for sure, and a bunch of bits that I have yet to figure out!! This one is going to take some time.

Oreodont.jpg

Holy CATS!  That IS going to be a challenge!  Personally, I would relegate that one to the 'bits and pieces' box but if somebody is actually willing to pay you to restore it then more power to you!  Good luck!  You're going to need it!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

43 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

Holy CATS!  That IS going to be a challenge!  Personally, I would relegate that one to the 'bits and pieces' box but if somebody is actually willing to pay you to restore it then more power to you!  Good luck!  You're going to need it!

-Joe

I never seem to get the easy projects! Unfortunately, it's hard to actually make any money prepping stuff like this. My hourly rate tends to drop a bit. Will probably do a bit of horsetrading for a fossil trade also. This one's going to a rock shop ultimately.

Looks like a rather fun puzzle if you ask me.  But no, I wouldn't want to prep that for someone.  It would cost too much.  Looking forward to seeing the finished fossil.  Good luck

RB

Its great that you are going to salvage the specimen. I used to get into some zen zone when trying to reconstruct fragmented dino stuff.  I'd look at the clock and it would be 2am!

I'm curious if the supply of more intact Oligocene material  is declining.  In the early 1980's oreodont skull specimens seemed almost infinite. It was restricted to how much we could carry out. I'd high-grade throughout the day. 

This specimen was part of a collection that my client purchased so I don't think it says anything about scarcity of material. Whole skulls can be readily had from different suppliers still.

Just better hope all the scraps got to the same animal or you'll really have a headache on your hands.  "Well, how can I have the skull and still have a bunch of leftover pieces?"

2 hours ago, caldigger said:

Just better hope all the scraps got to the same animal or you'll really have a headache on your hands.  "Well, how can I have the skull and still have a bunch of leftover pieces?"

Ha!

I've had that issue a few times over the years. Get some specimen back together but still have a few left over fragments. Its bad enough with something like a 

Tyrannosaurid tooth (but at least I know what the finished item should look like). However, with something more enigmatic like a ceratopsian frill I'm not sure if I left out a piece or have a fragment from a separate specimen, etc.   Anyways, sure beats doing the blue sky of a jigsaw puzzle.

Oh so true! I have most of the bits back together. I still have some small fragments that are causing some consternation. I'm not too concerned at this point because the entire right side of the skull from the Maxilla up is missing.

Will be a one side prep only for the most part.

• 5 months later...

After 4 hours of total work time, the smoothie is as prepped as it's going to be. I just couldn't justify giving away any more hours than I already have on it. Thankfully, the owner only paid $10 for the bag of pieces.

IMG_4263.thumb.JPG.da6f52e349873c2d460de6fe5ab3b4d8.JPG

That's impressive for 4 hours!  I've been working on a mammoth jaw for months! Lol

11 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

That's impressive for 4 hours!  I've been working on a mammoth jaw for months! Lol

Thanks, most of the time was piecing it back together. My CP9361 made short work of the matrix and I did the close work with the Aro. It could really use a couple hours more work to get looking really nice but the piece isn't worth the time. I added some Apoxie Sculpt to rebuild the back of the mandible because it was pretty nasty.

11 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

looks pretty good Chris! nice work!

Thanks. It was fun.

Archived