The Forgotten Trip to the Gobi

Sinopaleus

...well, forgot to post here that is :headscratch:I guess 2 years later I finally remembered haha!

I guess that eliminates any chance of posting my finds to the VFOTM heh ;)

Anyways, it's great to be back in the forum :) I usually come here once every few months, so it's great to see all these new features on the website! Shoutout to the admins for the great work, love it! :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:

2 years ago, I went to the Gobi Desert in northwestern China on an annual hunt for Dinosaurs in cooperation with some of the leading dinosaur paleontologists of the country, along with international paleontologists from the U.S and Canada for a few trips. This is the long overdue report for the 1 month expedition into the Mazongshan desert ranges of northwestern China, in search for the ancestral forms of many famous dinosaurs we know today (such as T.rex, Triceratops, Edmontosaurus, Parasaurolophus etc). Many flat tires met us on our journey to the Early Cretaceous time portal, and we witnessed some of the most beautiful of Earth's scenery, as well as the most terrifying of nature's storms with nothing but a tiny tent for each person's protection. Cut off from civilization as well as the ever-hated internet of our modern day, I was glad to be able to come out relatively unscathed and with the bonus of bountiful fossil finds, all the while standing side by side with pioneers of Chinese dinosaur paleontology, and with the hard working excavation team that accompanies them. Below are some basic stats of the trip

Time Period: Early Cretaceous (Aptian - Albian), +-120 million years ago

Dinosaur Occurrences:

1. Neoceratopsians
  2. Tyrannosauroids
  3. Unidentified Dromaeosaurs
  4. Hadrosauroides
  5. Titanosaurs
  6. Therizinosauroides

Other Vertebrates:

1. Fish
  2. Crocodiles
  3. Turtles
  4. Birds

Pictures coming soon, hang tight! :zen:

• I found this Informative 1

The following fossil material belongs to neoceratopsians; direct ancestral forms to the much larger ceratopsians of the Late Cretaceous. As of now, they're around the size of a large dog or a sheep, and can maneuver either as a biped or a quadruped. The bones here mostly belong to Archaeoceratops oshimai, with the slightly less robust bones belonging to Auroraceratops rugosus. Altogether, I easily found over a hundred verts, along with claws, phalanges, pelvic elements, leg shafts, skull elements, a jaw-dropping number of maxillas and dentaries lined with teeth, a number of peculiar pathological bones and more. 

Pic 1: Spot the sacral vert! 

Pic 2: Weathered A. oshimai distal tibia and fibula elements

Pic 3: The small pile of A. rugosus bones and frags I picked up while walking around a small outcrop. Original source appears to have weathered away

Pic 4: A few bone frags camouflaged with the surrounding rocks

Pic 5: I found this caudal vert like this... ripe for the picking!

Pic 6: There are 5 vertebrae in this particular picture, you can see one weathered out and the rest still tucked underground

Pic 7: A beautiful white gem in the near distant... Part of the left coracoid in an adult A. oshimai

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1765.JPG

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Great report Henry! :) 

Glad you have some time to share with us. 

Looking forward to more.   :popcorn:

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Impressed.  One of life's greatest experiences.  

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Very nice report, thank you.  Do you ever dig where there are bone fragments to see if the remainder of the animal is there? Ever find nice theropod teeth?

17 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Great report Henry! :) 

Glad you have some time to share with us. 

Looking forward to more.   :popcorn:

Regards, 

Thanks Tim! Always good to be back :D

17 hours ago, Vieira said:

Fantastic report! :dinothumb:

Thanks for sharing.

I'm waiting for more :D

Thanks Vieira!

16 hours ago, Uncle Siphuncle said:

Impressed.  One of life's greatest experiences.  

Haha indeed :)

14 hours ago, Troodon said:

Very nice report, thank you.  Do you ever dig where there are bone fragments to see if the remainder of the animal is there? Ever find nice theropod teeth?

Thanks Troodon! Yes, I always look for a source when fragments are found. Usually though the source has been weathered away due to the harsh environment of the area. We did in fact find an unidentified raptor's tooth associated with a bone assemblage I found later!

5 hours ago, ynot said:

:drool::envy:

:popcorn::popcorn:

Tony

:raindance:

All the following maxillas and dentaries belong to Archaeoceratops oshimai, just selected a few of the bunch 

IMG_1794.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1824.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

IMG_1841.JPG

Three gleamy glossy teeth on another maxilla

IMG_1830.JPG

A fully rooted Archaeoceratops oshimai premaxillary tooth

IMG_1865.JPG

prepped it to become an absolutely lovely blood-colored beauty

IMG_1869.JPG

Partially exposed ilium with partial ischium underneath 

IMG_1833.JPG

I like to call this "Crystal Violet", a beautiful, glossy violet-colored tibia with stunning calcite crystals inside the hollow shaft. Needless to say I didn't prep everything back together or else the calcite crystals won't see the light of day anymore! 

IMG_1866.JPG

A good looking foot claw from an adult A. oshimai

• I found this Informative 3

This is definitely one of my better finds. A relatively complete lower torso of a juvenile Archaeoceratops oshimai, with both feet, an ischium and 5 connected caudal vertebrae. 

These photos are when the discovery was just made

IMG_1870.JPG

IMG_1873.jpg

Once extracted, this was the piece prior to prep

IMG_0297.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

And once the prep was finished, this is the final showpiece ^_^ prep work could have been slightly better, but I'm satisfied with the work!

After prepping out most of the bones, I used the matrix dust pile and sprinkled it back on top of the piece for a better aesthetic feel

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

These finds came from another location of the same Group.

IMG_1911.jpg

These rib frags were I.D'd as Suzhousaurus megatheroides by paleontologists, and were found near the discovery site of the species holotype

IMG_1916.JPG

A raptor claw from a yet unknown species

IMG_1929.JPG

A Jintasaurus yuelini hadrosauroid tooth

These two fossils are of peculiar interest to me. Unfortunately I completely forgot to take in situ pics for the fossils :headscratch:Though weathered and fragmented, even the paleontologists I was with agreed these were quite unique. 

After collecting so many neoceratopsian maxillas and dentaries, this particular partial jaw just didn't look right along with the rest. The teeth had weathered away, but the hollow grooves they once fitted in were longer than what I usually saw in neoceratopsians. The bone itself was also wider and was slanted in a concave manner, unlike those of neoceratopsians. So just what dinosaur did this specimen belong to?

Luckily, one of the paleontologists was an expert on therizinosaurs. He quickly identified this specimen as a partial right maxilla of a juvenile Suzhousaurus megatheroides. 

Still can't believe I found myself a therizinosaur maxilla :blink: can't complain!

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

Now this piece also struck the attention of the experts. I remember we were having a break while trekking across the outcrops to a dig site, and I found this dandy piece just sitting there. Tossed it around in my hand and dropped it by accident a time or two, and one of the paleontologists who was sitting near me took a quick peak at it before getting real interested all of a sudden. Being one of the authors of the description paper for the tyrannosaur at our site, he identified this piece to be a distal femur of the tyrannosauroid Xiongguanlong baimoensis, explaining to me the distinct tyrannosaur feature of the heavily curved intercondylar fossa present in the piece

IMG_0170.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Wow! :blink:

Amazing finds, Henry!  :hammer01:

Congratulations!:D

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

:drool: I want to go their so bad I can taste it. I was a little kid when I first read about Roy Chapman Andrews and his expeditions to the Gobi. Been fantasizing about a trip there ever since.

The color on of some of these bones...:wub:!

Thank you for remembering to post this trip. :)

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Amazing !! I would like to hunt there :hammer01:

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

On 10/27/2016 at 4:21 PM, Sinopaleus said:

IMG_1730.jpg

Is this a mushroom? I hear they exert a lot of force when they puff up.

These teeth look thin, what are they used for?

17 hours ago, Sinopaleus said:

IMG_1847.JPG

Excellent pics and finds, thanks so much for sharing : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Amazing trip report!  I love the shape of the Archaeoceratops teeth.  And the colors of the bones... beautiful!!

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis